• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on barrel and breech inlet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a barrel that has the breech pluginstalled(Rice) perfect fit. The breech plug is actually removed.am I wrong in thinking of getting the swamped barrel in and back to its final position then put breech plug in the barrel and then inletting the breech plug and tang.Ive always done barrel with breech plug and tang installed.Seems it w old be easier the other way. Thanks
All I need is yes that's ok or no ,,do barrel and breech plug and tang all at once. If you want to elaborate that's fine and welcome.

Last edited:
I've got a barrel that has the bp installed(Rice) perfect fit. The bp is actually removed.am I wrong in thinking of getting the swamped barrel in and back to its final position then put bp in the barrel and then inletting the bp and tang.Ive always done barrel with bp and tang installed.Seems it w old be easier the other way. Thanks
All I need is yes that's ok or no ,,do barrel and bp and tang all at once. If you want to elaborate that's fine and welcome.
Have always inlet barrel with beech plug removed from the barrel. I also like to mark the top flat of the barrel (I used Dykem) so I know I have the barrel positioned in the stock correctly. Likely not necessary with a Rice barrel, but I still do it.

Sorry here goes my ignorance. What is Dykem and how do you use it to make sure barrel is positioned correctly?
It’s a marking fluid that I color the top flat with. You could use a Sharpie or similar to do the same if you want. It’s just a visual thing for me. I want to see the colored top flat when I put the barrel in the stock for checking fit for example.
1691528827119.png

I did it each way once and thereafter have inletted the barrels with the breech plug and tang installed. It never made a lick of sense to me to do it othewise but one time I didn't have the breech plug on hand and was anxious to get the barrel in. Never again.

I've got a barrel that has the breech pluginstalled(Rice) perfect fit. The breech plug is actually removed.am I wrong in thinking of getting the swamped barrel in and back to its final position then put breech plug in the barrel and then inletting the breech plug and tang.Ive always done barrel with breech plug and tang installed.Seems it w old be easier the other way. Thanks
All I need is yes that's ok or no ,,do barrel and breech plug and tang all at once. If you want to elaborate that's fine and welcome.
Yeah ,I remove the breech plug , inlet the barrel then after barrel is to bed , reinstall plug and inlet it until barrel is back down .... as the other fellow mentions I right to and bottom on the respective flats for quick recognition when bedding the barrel ... Good luck

Yeah ,I remove the breech plug , inlet the barrel then after barrel is to bed , reinstall plug and inlet it until barrel is back down .... as the other fellow mentions I right to and bottom on the respective flats for quick recognition when bedding the barrel ... Good luck
Thanks Rob

I remove it, inlet it then install it, then inlet the bbl with the breech plug.

Did you get your breech plug fitted?

You can do it either way but first you have to install the breech plug so you know which flat is going to be the top so you can mark it. With a swamped barrel it is probably a little easier to do the barrel and then do the breech plug.

A
Ain't that somethin , LOL ... Thats cool . I just make trade guns now so I usually write LONDON on the top , LOL ... Like the London stamp I put on the top flat later . Quick recognition when that sucker is covered with inlet black .....I'm messy :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-214741~2.png
    Screenshot_20230809-214741~2.png
    454.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230809-214728~2.png
    Screenshot_20230809-214728~2.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back