• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this CVA up at the gunshow, the barrel was out of the stock, but other than that complete. Anyhow, can someone tell me is the breech in far enough? Or is the barrel tang for the hooked breech the wrong one? My barrel doesn’t fit in the stock. It will if I pull the tang out. So then I started some investigating, I pulled the barrel, and the tang and checked it for fitment, the hooked breech fits in the tang, but there is a gap. I’m by no
means a CVA expert, I took some pictures, let me know what you think? I can bring the hook off the breech and I bet it would fit, but it’s not right. I have about 1and a 1/4 thread showing in my breech area. Can someone unhook thier CVA hawken and duplicste
My breech photo? Give me some ideas guys… thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2026.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2025.jpeg
  • IMG_2022.jpeg
  • IMG_2024.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I measured my barrel and it’s 1”, so I ordered a corresponding hooked breech tang. There was a 15/16 option as well. Now I need a 50 caliber cleaning jag.. 🙄
I thought I had one, I’ve got a 62, 54, 45 and a 40 cleaning jag.. no 50s. Luckily it’s very common and Wally world carries these.

Last edited:
I wonder why one has to click on my photos? That has to be a setting somewhere? I ordered the correct tang from deer creek, thanks all for the input.

They showed as pictures on my screen yesterday, today they're little blue symbols you have to click on to show.

One last question for the CVA guys, so I measured my barrel across the flats with a digital micrometer, it measured 1.08. However, it’s a 50 caliber and I always thought that the only barrels from CVA that measured that size were 54 calibers and that 50 calibers were 15/16? It’s a Hawken style, with a drum rather than a snail breech. Any thoughts?

50 and 54 both came in 15/16 and 1 inch in the hawken. They could be hooked or button breech. Other than a couple odd pistols every cva caplock ive seen has a drum.

50 and 54 1 inch hawken barrels.
20240306_163559.jpg
20240306_163701.jpg
20240306_163722.jpg

No problem, im not a cva expert but I've owned a few dozen and enough to know there barrels are deadly, watch yur top not🍻
I got a deal on this one, but it needs some love. Barrel has some rust inside the bore and it needs refinished. The bore isn’t bad enough to warrant a new one, I can polish it up. I took off the front and rear sight and will replace them with more traditional ones. I’ve already made the front sight with a brass base and a German silver blade, now either making or buying a set of semi buckhorn rears. Next I need a RR thimble, which I’ll most likely order from deer creek or see if someone here has an extra one laying around they’d like to trade for. Then I’ll strip the original finish off the stock and refinish it with a dark brown. Anyhow that’s what I’ve been up to.. ✌️

One last question for the CVA guys, so I measured my barrel across the flats with a digital micrometer, it measured 1.08. However, it’s a 50 caliber and I always thought that the only barrels from CVA that measured that size were 54 calibers and that 50 calibers were 15/16? It’s a Hawken style, with a drum rather than a snail breech. Any thoughts?
Ok start by learning how to read your calipers. Big difference between 1.08 and the more likely 1.008.

Nice to see you fixing it up. Alot of people overlook cva.
For what it's worth, i think there is a guy on eBay selling new old stock cva hawken barrels. Last i checked he had 15/16 and 1 inch, button or hooked breech. Just over a hundred bucks if i remember right. I been thinking about getting another 1 inch 54 but I've got a pile of a dozen or so barrels telling me i don't need another 🤣

Latest posts

Back