• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Nipple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEW222

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a crazy question I am wondering about. Nowhere locally has any nipples in stock, nor did they know when they would get them in again, or if they were. So, as I have a T/C with #11 percussion nipple with 1/4 x 28 thread, is it possible to make a replacement nipple, or has anyone done it before?

The biggest problem in making a nipple at home may be in having drill bits small enough for the proper size vent holes. Also, you would not have to have an engine lathe, but a at least a drill press would be nice to turn the diameter for the threads by filing.

Then you get into the problem of having the right material/s and if iron or steel, it probably would need be hardened and annealed.

So bottom line, it is not whether it could be done, but it just is not worth it compared to buying some ready made ones and keeping them on hand. When you get down to the last new nipple in the gun and one new spare, it would be time to order a couple or three more.

Gus

I recently came across an old gun that had a grease fitting as a replacement nipple. This was an old rifle that could've been dated anywhere from 1850 to 1950, and could've been used that whole time by many hands. I can't tell you how it was installed or if it worked but it has been done.

Thanks all. I was well aware that it would not be a cost saver, just more-a-less wondering if it had been done or how it worked. I will look up Track Of The Wolf and see if they will ship gun parts to Canada, as I vaguely remember something about shipping or bringing gun parts across the border before. Thanks.

I have ordered from Track of the Wolf many times without a problem,the only thing they can't ship to Canada are things like wood stain and finishes,and that is because of U.S law.

Might want to look at Cain's Outdoors here in WV. They sell a brand of nipple called the spitfire and I have had nothing but good results with it. Dan.

It's pretty easy to make a replacement nipple. I've made them out of old bolts with the correct threads. Cut a piece of all thread from the bolt. put the all thread in your electric drill. Put drill in your vice and run on high speed, while grinding with your angle grinder to three diameters at the proper lengths. 1- threads, 2- flats for wrench, 3- nipple diameter. (You can figure the lengths). Fine tune with a file. drill the holes to your preferences. Most of us have a 1/16" bit. If you want a spark channel smaller than that, carefully, stop drilling just before breaking through to the larger interior hole and, with a sharpened finishing nail, tap it until it breaks through. I've had mild steel nipples last a long time, but you can use high strength bolts that will last much longer.

Just order from Track of the wolf, Dixie , or Log Cabin. As a tool room machinist I have made nipples but it isn't easy to chase the small fine threads up to the shoulder. I made some more as a :" Can I do this project to get over sized threads". Than as a cost effective project. What I did do and liked the results was to take several "burned out" nipples and lined them with small liners made from hardened tool steel that really lasted for a loooong time. :idunno: :idunno:

Thank you again. I know it is not cost effective by any means, it's just that it is coming upon winter here and I like to play with such things like this. I am a tinkerer by heart... Anyways, thank you all again.

I made a set of nipples for my Leech and Rigdon revolver when the original steel nipples burned out. I used 309 stainless steel and they are lasting forever (seems like). I did have access to a lathe and I used a #72 drill for the flash-hole.

ohio ramrod said:
As a tool room machinist I have made nipples but it isn't easy to chase the small fine threads up to the shoulder.
One could make them to the thread diameter, thread the outside, then add a threaded sleeve. The sleeve could then be soldered in place to make the shoulder.

I'm liking this more now. Sounds like a project. Only problem for me is the ss bolt, but I will look at home depot.

Back