• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Nipple Replacements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'morning gents.

I have spent a few hours over the last couple of days measuring nipples and searching the interwebz for replacements for a few antique rifles I have. Some of these original nipples have HUMONGUS fire channels compared to a modern nipple. They do not appear to be eroded, but rather, they have been enlarged? The holes are perfectly concentric.

The first was a simple 1/4-28. No issues there.

Next was a 12-28. Not many choices available for this one, but I was able to find a replacement that will work.

The next is for a D.H. Hilliard underhammer. This one is giving me the troubles. The OD of the nipple threads measure .280 with a pitch of 28. Just shy of 5/16". The threads in the barrel are crisp and do not appear to have much wear, to have been cross-threaded, or neglected.

The fire hole is a tad smaller than 1/16" but still very large by new production nipple standards. At this time, it does not seem to be affecting the accuracy much, but I would like to have a replacement on hand if anything were to happen to the original one. I would like to think a smaller hole would help with group size also.

Has anyone had any luck finding oddball sized nipples for your antique? Dixie Gun Works seems to have the widest selection of oversize diameters at 28 tpi in both brass and steel. They have a .275 and a .285.

I have zero experience installing oversized nipples. Would the .275 be too small? The .285 too big? Keep using the original till its just a nub? I welcome your opinions. Thanks!

Unk, After a search of "Nipple" at Log Cabin Shop, the online selection is the same as DGW. The nipples you have bought from them, are they of an odd size? Did they custom make your nipples?
They have sizes and many things that are not on their web site: best to call and ask for Tom ( the gunsmith there) to discuss odd sizes.

@Uncle Miltie I just got off the phone with Tom.

Their selection was also between .275 and .285. I explained my situation and dimensions and right off the bat he suggested an AMPCO nipple of the .285 size. In his digging around, he also found a returned one that was marked as measuring .279, so I got that one along with a .285. The softer alloy of the AMPCO's allow for a 'swaging in' effect, and less stress on the original barrel threads. I agreed with his suggestion, and ordered them. Thanks for the tip.

G'morning gents.

I have spent a few hours over the last couple of days measuring nipples and searching the interwebz for replacements for a few antique rifles I have. Some of these original nipples have HUMONGUS fire channels compared to a modern nipple. They do not appear to be eroded, but rather, they have been enlarged? The holes are perfectly concentric.

The first was a simple 1/4-28. No issues there.

Next was a 12-28. Not many choices available for this one, but I was able to find a replacement that will work.

The next is for a D.H. Hilliard underhammer. This one is giving me the troubles. The OD of the nipple threads measure .280 with a pitch of 28. Just shy of 5/16". The threads in the barrel are crisp and do not appear to have much wear, to have been cross-threaded, or neglected.

The fire hole is a tad smaller than 1/16" but still very large by new production nipple standards. At this time, it does not seem to be affecting the accuracy much, but I would like to have a replacement on hand if anything were to happen to the original one. I would like to think a smaller hole would help with group size also.

Has anyone had any luck finding oddball sized nipples for your antique? Dixie Gun Works seems to have the widest selection of oversize diameters at 28 tpi in both brass and steel. They have a .275 and a .285.

I have zero experience installing oversized nipples. Would the .275 be too small? The .285 too big? Keep using the original till its just a nub? I welcome your opinions. Thanks!
The nipples on numerous original European rifles & pistols I've owned have had large open bases. Even if nipples are in mint condition I've always replace them for safety & hotter ignition with Treso nipples as all my original firearms were shooters.
Any mint guns I acquired got sold to non-shooter collectors.
I recently replaced the same type of large open base-hole nipple on a unique .70 cal. Swiss flint to percussion Jaeger, fortunately Treso had the perfect length nipple with threads that matched. Fortunately Treso makes standard & oversize threads for many of their nipples, big help when trying to match foreign threaded nipple holes.
Relic shooter
On occasion original nipple threads in the breech are corroded & will require opening up to the next size for a safe fit, not

Back