• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Up sizing nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20230829_210909335_HDR.jpg

The threads in the breech for the nipples on my shotgun project appear good in one, not so good in the other. They are 1/4 x 28 now. I want to go to a larger size threads but I'll be damned if I use metric threads. It appears the next choice up then is 5/16 and musket caps. I have no problem with using musket caps and I suppose there is enough material in the breech to handle the larger holes.

They make incremental step up nipples. .255, .260 and .26...track has em, dixie etc. Put em in my old shotgun and bought another size up just in case.

They make incremental step up nipples. .255, .260 and .26...track has em, dixie etc. Put em in my old shotgun and bought another size up just in case.
I have tried the oversized threaded nipples and they sort of kind of work (think lighter loads), but can be be a PIA to get the correct size. Stepping up to the next dimensional thread size is ‘simple’, as long as one has a solid setup to hold everything very steady and enough solid steel in the breech plug to support the larger thread and the process to get it there. I have worked with a few members here, and without the correct equipment/setup, inevitable failure was very predictable. You may not have a shooter, but instead real wall hanger, though I have been wrong before, just ask my bride.

There are 5/16 nipples that take 10/11 caps.

Before you start drilling why don't you just take the barrels and new nipple to a machinist or smith and ask for an evaluation.

Back