• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

homemade buttermilk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original recommendation was for 1/4 cup of cultured buttermilk per quart, 1/2 cup per half-gallon, commercial or homemade, to be used as starter for a new batch. I know that more starter can speed the process, so I use a bit more than that.

I add the starter to as much skim milk as I want buttermilk, stir and shake it thoroughly for a minute, cover with a cloth and rubber band and set it in a warm place out of the sun for at least 24 hours. I usually leave it for 48 hours to increase the sourness and make a more firm curd.

The milk will be a solid soft curd just exactly like when making cheese. I stir and shake it thoroughly, and it easily breaks down to buttermilk.

I adjust the taste to my personal preference by adding 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar per cup to it before stirring.

So far the process has worked very well with every batch. The initial info said that if the culture got weak over time so that the fermentation slowed down, you should start over with commercial buttermilk, but so far mine has done the opposite, seems stronger as I go along.

My local skim milk is still $.99 a gallon and buttermilk is $6.00, so I'm getting a lot of good, cheap, fat-free buttermilk. Win win.

Spence

Sorry Spence, I'm going off-topic for a second. I think this might be relevant if not interesting.

https://youtu.be/XEb7pCvYj3g

"Warning"....He tends to "ramble".... :haha:

Colorado Clyde said:
Looks like yogurt....
No, totally different. The curd is soft as thistledown, as they say, and it essentially disappears with a quick stir.

Commercial buttermilk has half a dozen gums and gels in it to make it smooth and creamy, so there is some difference in the texture of the homemade, but not something which is obvious or objectionable.

Spence

Bacteria-R-Us.

Only about 45% of the collection we call Colorado Clyde is made up of human cells, the other 55% are bacteria.

In addition to the bacteria which live on and in us, the power/energy producing factory within each of our cells apparently started as a symbiotic relationship between primitive cells and a bacterium. It has its own DNA and reproduction cycle which parallels cellular reproduction. So we may be bacteria even within most of our body cells.

It's true that we couldn't exist without bacteria, then and now.

We need them for bread and beer, too, of course. And buttermilk. :haha:

Spence

My 3 liter batch came out perfect. I had wondered if fermenting a big batch would take longer than a small one, it didn't, the process happened exactly on the same schedule, 2 cups or 10.

Spence

Is there anyone here who remembers seeing butter made by churning fresh, raw milk which had been allowed to sour first?

Spence

That's just it. Around here, the cream was skimmed and turned to butter before the milk had a chance to cool. Butter milk had a slightly blueish tinge and was like drinking water. My mother did have a recipe for a sour milk cake which required milk sour to the point of lumpy before use. But there was still no sourness in the finished product.

George said:
Is there anyone here who remembers seeing butter made by churning fresh, raw milk which had been allowed to sour first?

Spence
That is how my sister made butter from her 2 milk cows. 1 was a Durham the other a Guernsey. This was in the 1970's. The butter was great and then she baked with the milk or fed it to the pigs.

Latest posts

Back