• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

homemade buttermilk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love those yeasty critters and made beer for years. I have to see if the Amish or the others have real buttermilk. Carol gets the best meat and sausage from their store. I know they have real live milk with cream in it.
I made a huge loaf of sourdough bread yesterday and I cut a slab while still warm.
Today we are fed chemicals to preserve but my bread does not spoil at all before it is gone. Carol buys bread and in a few days it shows mold, same as some cheese. Sourdough is still good in 2 weeks. Nothing lasts today so you need to buy more soon. I pick mold off and still eat the rest but the best was when I was a kid and bought mounds bar. I ate half and bit the other piece to see it was not coconut, maggots instead. OK, tasted good so I just threw the second out.

My Wife remembers her mother letting the milk clabber as well. This was happening into the early 1960's.
It was as late as 2002. I worked with a Russian that had migrated to this country. His family had purchased a gallon of milk and put it in the window sill to clabber. You can imagined what the milk done. It got real gunky. Never clabbered, just got streaked and spoiled. The family wasn't savoy about the junk we are buying off the shelf. Butter and cheese are best made with raw milk and I am not sure many people realize what raw milk is.

I bought a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk from Walmart earlier this week. Yesterday, the jug was empty, with only some of the thick residue on the sides & bottom. I added some 2% milk & shook it to get it completely mixed together. This afternoon, its' already thick & bubbly. I'll let it continue until tomorrow before adding any salt to it. Looks like it works just fine & is way cheaper than buying the actual jug of alrerady made buttermilk.

I bought a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk from Walmart earlier this week. Yesterday, the jug was empty, with only some of the thick residue on the sides & bottom. I added some 2% milk & shook it to get it completely mixed together. This afternoon, its' already thick & bubbly. I'll let it continue until tomorrow before adding any salt to it. Looks like it works just fine & is way cheaper than buying the actual jug of alrerady made buttermilk.
Do you refrigerate after mixing or do you leave it in a window and wait?

Most commercial buttermilk is is cultured and then pasteurized. Real buttermilk is left over from butter making and can be used again to make cheese.

Here is an example.

This is fantastic info! I'm curious: Will it still work if refrigerated? My Other loves buttermilk, but has rebelled at the idea of drinking milk that sits out (I know, I know; but I can't win this one). So is there any reason it won't work in a fridge? Longer time maybe?

Buttermilk cultures are active at room temp. I make a gallon at a time, putting out 1/2 gal on the counter & leaving the other in the fridge for later - the refrigerated bottle begins culturing, but only after I'm done drinking the first 1/2 gal & then put it out to warm up.
That "other" can't pick & choose on how buttermilk is made & should be free to sit and go without, while watching you drink your made-at-room-temp batch.

If the 'other', eats yogurt, it is also cultured at room temp.

Left out for 2 days, I mix in 1 1/2 tsp salt to the bottle before drinking. It brings out the buttermilk flavor.

Latest posts

Back