• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Study Course- CVA to Ohio

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayfeld

40 Cal.
Reaction score
About thirty years ago, I built a series of three CVA kit guns. Sold the .32 cal squirrel gun a year or two back and mounted the .45 cal Kentucky pistol in a case with my old, fancy and now un-used pipes. That left the .45 cal Kentucky rifle to deal with. Not a very special design, as you all know, with its short-butted, thin, two-piece stock and that pretty basic CVA lock. But what the heck, just couldn't toss it, so I thought I'd use it as a learning tool. Darned if it didn't
work!

CVAOhio1.jpg

I bought a cherry half-stock- the Ohio rifle- from Pecatonica, plus an under-rib, a big old Golden Age brass butt plate and a compatable toe plate from Track, and got to work. The stock was already routed for the barrel and drilled for the ramrod, so in this home study project I learned to inlet lock, trigger and trigger guard, solder on an under-rib, bend and form a butt-plate and fit it to the stock, and to pour a pewter nosepiece. Turned out not great, but pretty good, and I really learned a lot. It was money well-spent; can't always say that these days.

Clay (Who's off to the mountain range tomorrow.)

CVAOhio2.jpg

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. Took her out shooting today to see if it all worked. Tooled up into the mountains to the range, set up all my gear carefully, laid out the powder, my make-shift flask (broke the spring and lost the spout a few weeks ago), set up the patches and range rod, clamped the rifle loading holder to the bench and got out the caps. Poured in the powder, lubed the patch and placed it over the muzzle and reached in for the balls...and guess what? Yup, they were home on my work bench! Good God...what a lifetime of smirks I was due to get from my wife!

I just put the cap on, raised the rifle and shot the powder. The range asistant came over and asked me what I was shooting at, as the range hadn't been closed for target placement in the few minutes since I had been there (and he didn't see a puff of dirt in the hills behind *anywhere*; must have thought I was an *unusually* bad shot). I told him my sad story and pretty soon I had gathered a little crowd of kindly cartridge shooters and the range master, in his little golf cart, and he asked me if I was shooting .45 cal lead balls. Good question! I told him I was *supposed to be* shooting .45 cal balls, but had none. "Well, he says", "hop in and come with me and I'll show you what this guy asked me to try and sell for him at any reasonable price, if I could". A few minutes later, I had purchased about a hundred .440 cast lead balls, a dozen tins of #11 caps and a new powder flask, all for the asked price of eight dollars! I was a happy camper...and the rest of the day went pretty well for an old gun with a lock that makes for a half-hour hammer fall!

Luck is a lady!

Clay

Back