• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

holster for flintlock pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How are flintlock pistol's normally carried? Do they just go under a belt or sash or do you put them in a holster. I just got a pistol,so plenty more pistol ?'s to come

thanks, I could one like that for sure. I wonder if there is any reason the barrel is not covered with a holster like that.

The holster isn't made for just one type of gun, it's made for any gun. 6 inch or 12 inch barrels will fit.

I recently bought a holster for my Patriot pistol. This guy makes a fine holster.

Ron Drake
32212 N. Perry Rd.
Deer Park, WA. 99006
[email protected]

It holds the gun at about a 25* angle. Barrel pointing down. Hand grip facing forward. It's made to wear it on your left hip and cross draw with your right hand.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Forgot to add, he sends an extra piece of leather string with each holster. (it's not shown in the pictures) You can punch 2 holes in the holster and use the string to loop behind your gun (cowboy style?) to help hold it in.

The way he makes the Patriot holster works just fine without the string. These pistols are barrel heavy and the holster is designed to hold the pistol with the barrel pointing downward so it's not going to slide out very easily.

The man is on gunauction a lot. His name on that site is -' goofy '- If you do a search for cross draw holster you will find a couple of his auctions.

Wow, a Patriot pistol that is still in one piece! It's been a long while since I've seen one that isn't broken through the lock mortise. Nice gun, be real careful with it. Nice holster too.

I've got 2 in .45 and a spare .36 barrel.

IMG_0736.jpg

Almost bought another one last week. I've developed a bit of an addiction to them. :idunno: :youcrazy:

Before anybody jumps down my throat........ I KNOW they are percussion pistols and this is a flintlock forum. I wanted to help TC find a holster and I like mine, so I told him where he might be able to get one.

You have a couple of options. Under the sash was possibly the most common method of the time. I put together a kit with a belt hook. The belt hook is okay but it leaves the pistol exposed and if you are creeping through underbrush then the branches, etc can beat up the pistol. I think a holster better protects the gun. Holsters can be made to hang on a saddle or slung on a belt. Most look (to me) more like a cone rather than what we think of as a holster. On the saddle type- it was normally for two pistols- the holsters connected and sort of like saddle bags in the respect that each holster hung over a different side of the saddle- often there was a hole that allowed the holsters to be placed into the horn of the saddle-at least that's my understanding.

T.O. said:
How are flintlock pistol's normally carried? Do they just go under a belt or sash or do you put them in a holster. I just got a pistol,so plenty more pistol ?'s to come
Normally carried when? In the 18th century they were carried in the pocket, in a saddle bucket rig, or less commonly on a belt with belt hooks or just shoved in a sash or belt.
There is an existing "bear hunting " shoulder rig for a pistol but it is later 19th century and an anomaly probably made from inspiration after the holster came into use.

I've always found it fascinating that the people of the 18th century sometimes got around the fact that all pistols were single shot ones by carrying more than one. But, it's tough to find out how they carried them.

"THE VIRGINIA GAZETTE
January 6, 1774
Norwich, England, Oct. 21, 1773
On Tuesday the 10th Instant as Mr. Reynolds, a Servant to Messieurs Attelesey and Aldrich, of this City, was riding from Hadiscoe to Yarmouth, he was attacked on Belton Heath by a single Highwayman, with a black Wig, black Complexion, a black Beard of 8 or 10 Days Growth, a bluish riding Coat, and mounted on a red Roan scrubby Horse, with a rough Main and Coat: He said to Mr. Reynolds, d”” you, have I staid for you all this Morning? Unmount, or I will shoot you this Minute: Upon which Mr. Reynolds asked him, what he would have? He replied, I'll have your Mare and your Bags; and upon that fired a Pistol at him, the Ball of which he heard whiz in the Furrs; whereupon Mr. Reynolds clapt Spurs to his Mare, and rode off as fast as he could; but the Highwayman rode after him, and fired a second Pistol at him, the Bullet of which graz'd on the Sleeve of his Great Coat; but being better mounted than the Highwayman, he out rode him, and got clear off: The Highwayman, he saw, had more Pistols in a Belt under his Great Coat; and after he left pursuing him, he rode away towards Semerly."

Holsters or belt hooks, waist or shoulder belt, they don't say.

And they used shoulder belts.

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
October 16, 1782
Title: A ROBBERY
SIXTY DOLLARS Reward. BROKE into the house of the subscriber... three men.... all armed with pistols , one remarkable long in a belt hung over the shoulder."

The artist Francisco Goya has a painting of Spanish border guards which shows one with a sort of leather (?) shoulder belt/armor with at least 3 maybe 4 flintlock pistols hung in a row on it, ca 1779-80. Can't tell how they are attached, but it doesn't look like holsters.

P00788.jpg

Spence.

I don't presume to speak for him, but I'll bet our own "Swampy" might be able to make something to your liking.

Spence, numerous images of that same type of rig (well same attachment method) from many countries in the period. This is the way I think many of the belt hooks were used on a baldric system of sorts.

T.O. said:

When hunting carry mine in a Bianchi Shoulder Holster. :grin:
You can carry it stuck in a belt etc but you may end up picking up off the ground now and then.
Dan

In my own humble opinion I think many of us use the belt hook wrong. After some years of hooking a pistol where it is dangling outside a belt/sash it occured to me that the pistol should be INSIDE the belt and the hook goes outside, to hold the pistol against your body. The hook merely keeps it from sliding out.

T.O. said:
How are flintlock pistol's normally carried? Do they just go under a belt or sash or do you put them in a holster.
If you want to be more historically accurate, carry it in your sash or use a clip. Do not use a 1950's style "quick draw" holster.

If history is not important, then whatever you want is fine. :)

Chris

I am a newbe and find that I have the bug, so a
patriot may be forthcoming.
I find that the patriot style of stocks fit my hands better then most of the other styles.

Keep you powder dry.
LeeRoy

Patriots are nice. They fit my hand well. They shoot good with .440 balls over pillow ticking and 20gr 3F Goex. One guy suggested they may group better with 15gr powder and I intend to find out next time I visit the range.

Traditions makes a Trapper pistol that can be purchased in either kit form or factory finished and ready to fire.

Some people refer to these types of pistols as a 'saw handle'

I love 'em!!

Latest posts

Back