• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hobby building...LRs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vulture said:
I can see right now that I will probably never post pictures of my builds.

I have a great respect for those of you who have the time and ability, but mostly the inclination to study the historical makers and build what they built, it's just not something I will ever do, I'm sorry. Stew.

Stew...first...PLEASE post a picture of any build you want. Many of us enjoy seeing the wonderful abilities of our peers here regardless of whether they are perfect or imperfect, HC/PC or not.

Like you, I admire beautiful muzzleloaders crafted by those with an eye toward the ultimate HC details. I respect and admire that ability to copy fine details. But I also admire just fine looking traditional muzzleloaders, whether perfectly HC/PC or not.

I look forward to seeing and complimenting anyone's finely crafted build and cannot see myself ever intentionally ignoring someone's fine work just because it's not a perfect historically correct copy. Doing so, in my opinion, offers no encouragement to someone that loves our sport enough to at least try building their own equipment and doing things in a way that is traditional. That, in itself, deserves recognition, respect, and encouragement.

I will have to agree with Spike buck 100 % It would be pretty quiet if only the best birds sing.Curt

Fred....Fred....Fred.... :nono: What are we gonna do with you. Allot of times I agree with you, but definitely not on this. Your post will push more perple away from building, than inspire
them to build more. :idunno: However, the one or two builders that are left, might build something to your liking. :bull:

Oh, and it IS My time.... So I will waste it on what I prefer to waste it on. :slap: Maybe others may feel you are wasting Your time in your tightly restricted area. :hmm:

I never have been, never will be, don't want to be, and never claimed to be a PC/HC builder, even though You feel I am wasting my time. And I get 3 to 5 new inquiries a week from people wanting me to build them a new rifle. :idunno: So I feel pretty confident in thinking there Are some pleasing & successful ways of building & wasting ones time even though they may not please you. :wink:

All that being said..... I still appreciate your skill in building & enjoy looking at your builds. :wink:

Keith Lisle

Was going to leave this topic alone w/ my "last" previous post, but you've "inspired" me w/ your remarks. So here goes.

As I previously said and I'm paraphrasing what I said because I'm too lazy to look it up.....people can build whatever they want, but I don't have to "enjoy" their work if it's a conglomeration of disparate components.

I've built a disparate component LR which was my first LR, so perhaps I can be "forgiven" because of my ignorance at that time. So w/ that, I might be relenting on my "harsh" assessment of others' "first attempts", but w/ the caveat that they do a little research for the second build. As an aside, my first build's name is "Ugly".

I'm far from any semblance of being an expert on building LRs or the various "schools" and styles of such and in fact have settled on just 2 styles....Bucks County and Lancaster because in my old age, I'm taking the "easy way out" and don't want to do the research of other "schools" or styles.

My expressed opinions are simply mine and shouldn't apply to those who disagree.....again....build what you will.

Judging from some of the replies, "my words" don't seem to hold much weight, so I don't think these same builders will be discouraged. They'll insist on building "what they will" irrespective of being HC and that's their option.

Keith....I really don't think you'd build a LR or MLer w/ grossly "disagreeable" parts. Further, I'm sure I and others would appreciate some pics of your recent excellent quality builds...can you accommodate us?......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Hee hee hee, you probably won't be enjoying my current build, if and when I put photos up. Although it's all flintlock and built with good parts, it's a bastard at best. I got a cherry stock blank free from a friend that was too short to build a proper longrifle (the blank was too short, not my friend), then I added a small Siler and some brass parts, along with a 38 inch Southern Classic Rice barrel. I think I'll add a horn muzzle cap and when asked, "what style or school is it?" I'm really not sure what I'll say because frankly, I don't know. That said, thus far I'm learning about building from a wood plank rather than a pre-carve and so far, things are going together well and I think it's going to be my nicest build yet when it comes to workmanship. We'll see but to each their own (and I can assure you that I am a traditionalist in many/most senses of the word).

Fred, I agree 110%. I see a flintlock rifle as sort of a time machine that takes the shooter back to the experience of another time. Any thing less might as well have a plastic stock and stainless steel barrel. We have all seen rifles that are so bad that we just walk away without making any comment. How many times have we read someone's post about keeping their first rifle hidden from view in the back of a closet? If you can't take the time to study and get it right then you should just buy a production rifle, because what you are building is just an expensive equivalent.

I don't hide my first LR build which was from a blank in a closet, but it's always in the rack and "it" constantly talks to me while I'm working on the present build. "It" says...."don't ever build another like me". I created "Ugly" for which I'm eternally apologetic.

People can build whatever they will, but w/ some research they could build some particular style of their choosing....Fred

I can easily see both sides of this discussion. My only comment is, there are so few guys building any MLs that it would be a shame if those that are didn't post their work.

For those that can't offer positive comments or constructive criticism on a particular build, silence is Golden. For the rest of us, we get to enjoy the work done by others and perhaps offer a well meaning suggestion or two.

I have no knowledge about different schools of rifling building or what ever, thus offer no critique.

I look at their work, admire the person's talent and decide if I like the it or not. In rifle's to me it is the wood.

Your remark and I'm paraphrasing, that it's the wood, is definitely right on w/ a MLer w/o embellishments {carving and engraving}.

If after looking over one of my carved and engraved builds by whoever, the first or only comment of "nice wood" would be an insult.....or the "looker" was completely ignorant of the art of building a MLer. This would hold true w/ not only my work but also w/ that of other builders who choose to embellish their MLers as was done w/ many originals.

Do I "blame" such a person for not appreciating an embellished MLer?.....Not at all...there are different levels of knowledge as pertains to any subject and if a person doesn't want to learn the complete details and history of MLers, that's his/her option......Fred

Dean2 said:
I can easily see both sides of this discussion. My only comment is, there are so few guys building any MLs that it would be a shame if those that are didn't post their work.

I fully documented my last build on a site that I am admin of, and pictures of that gun have been floating around this site quite a bit.

The only school I am even the slightest bit knowledgeable in is the southern mountain/ E. TN style guns. The extent of that knowledge is simply telling a good one from a not so good one, and to identify good architecture. Still learning and branching out into the styles and architecture of Lancasters, Lehighs, Virginias, etc.

When I come to the Forum, this section is the first place I come to, to see what you and Herb are doing, show and tell, and informing folks.

Thanks for the kind words and there wasn't any kind of criticism meant for anyone in particular.

I had a big discussion w/ myself as far as posting pics of my work....thought that some would think I'm bragging which truly isn't the case because other builders' turn out far better work than I.

Until a friend gave me a decent digital camera a few years ago, I have zero pics of my early builds.

A thing that does "bug" me a mite are pics that are taken from too far away and the details aren't discernible. I, along w/ many members, enjoy close up pics of MLers that really show the details. A full length view is appropriate along w/ some close ups.

This "Forum" is one of my daily highlights....Fred

Fred, are you by chance at the CLA show in Lexington today? I would love to see some of your rifles up close and meet you if you are there! Greg. :)

I'm a CLA member but am presently at home....sorry to say, I've never attended any MLer event or building seminar. If I had, learning to build MLers would have progressed more quickly. A whole lot of hunting, fishing, gunbuilding and 5 kids took precedence....priority not necessarily in that order.

Close up pics of everyone's builds are so "enlightening" and educational, so guys don't be hesitant in posting close ups of your work......Fred

This "Forum" is one of my daily highlights....Fred

You are correct.

I like to took at your work and Herb's, they are vastly different, but great for what each of you do.

There are too many vastly differently of styles/schools/types of rifles.

I think I have narrowed my preference down to one, all I have to do is find the wood I want.

Hi...hopefully the style you've chosen will give you enjoyment during the build, when completed and for many years to come.

To me it was always the building...and after 2 gunracks were full and most of the MLers weren't being shot, I decided to sell most of them. Thought it would be more difficult selling them because these early LRs literally had some of my sweat and blood in them. But, as it turned out,it wasn't painful at all.

Building mainly LRs is therapy to me....whatever is happening outside my shop isn't happening and for the few hours of building, it's like the outside world doesn't exist. Where else is this possible?

Good luck on your build.......Fred

Latest posts

Back