• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No longer building, but this pic......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Due to very bad eyesight, I'm no longer able to build MLers which I've enjoyed doing for the past 46 years. After a shaky start due to over confidence { was a toolmaker}, finally settled down and built a few MLers. The pic shows 2 blanks and bbls, one partially completed LR and the finished LR above the 3 is a Bucks County which was shortly sold.

Filled 2 racks w/ my builds and one day realized that they're just sitting there collecting dust but really didn't want to sell any but eventually, all were sold except my personal guns. What I found out was that I enjoyed building MLers and not collecting them

Due to the hunting and fishing , the build times were mainly after deer hunting {Nov} and to the spring fishing which started in May.

At 89 it really was time to relax and the bad eyes caused me to do just that. This post isn't seeking sympathy at all....it's just a fact of life.....Fred

P1010003.JPG

Last edited:
Fred, we've chatted before on another forum. If you need anything, just ask.
My uncle is 96, almost 97. Like you, he can't build anything anymore, but still goes to the gym 3 times a week. He heard from a cousin of mine that I was making some knives, as well as LR's, and now nothing will do but for me to build him a Damascus skinning knife, and sheath. Never mind that he will not be skinning out deer, cattle, or elephants - he wants a skinning knife, and he will be getting one!
Started making the handle from bloodwood. You ever worked with that? Beautiful color, but!!! Almost impossible to work with chisel or knife - you need a small sledge hammer to drive the chisel. So switched over to Honduran mahogany - a woodworker's dream wood! Used a lot to repair boats 50+ years ago, and happened to have a nice 4/4 plank in my woodpile.
You keep going! You can still load and shoot the blooming ML's! You can also write a short autobiography for your grand and great grandkids. Go plant some tulips this fall, as I did last fall - makes you glad to look forward to next spring when they pop up. And keep sharing your knowledge of building with others like me.

Back