• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy !

I want to cast my own applicances and parts to buildt me a Muzzleloader or two.
Talking about Buttplates , Triggerguards, Nose caps, and so on.

The mould is the smallest and easyest Problem. I build several of them before wich worked very well.

Whitin a year or so I am searching certain ways to find a method, to build my own meltingoven in my yard.
I found only patterns, to build one in almost Industrial size - wich is waaaaaaaay to big ( Size about 10 feet....) for me.
And to complicated.
There must be an easyer way to do it !
The best will do a thing, wich they had in use in Bronce-time 5000 years ago.
But : How did they build this little biddy ( but well working ) meltingovens ? ? ?

Anyone of you has an idea or expiriences ? Share it with me !
How to do fix your own melting pot out of clay , straw and carocalpowder is interesting to !

I buy my parts from a dealer. That way I don't have to build an oven in my back yard. You could probably melt enough brass in a crucible in a ferrier's forge to get the job done.

Charly I saw a video at The Log Cabin Shop at Lodi,Ohio where these guys were making pour casting all parts for ML gun. They have a web site,They are largest Muzzleloading shop in ohio. I would contact them about it. I watched it as it was very interesting. Dilly

When I was in College they had a small furnace which was a commercial unit built out of firebricks. It was natural gas fired with a pressurized air injection system and was good for melting Aluminum, Brass and Bronze.

I knew a guy who had a natural gas fired Ceramics Kiln at his home as well, and I think this could have reached the temperatures needed for Aluminum, Brass and Bronze as well.

The biggest concern I would have would be getting a crucible with the integrity necessary to assure a sufficient degree of safety.
If the curcible were to break while it held a pound or two of molten Brass or Bronze it could do sever damage to anything in the area.
Even Aluminum with it's 1200 degree F (649 C) melting temperature will easily set anything it touches on fire and Brass and Bronze melt at higher temperatures.

I agree with the others. Unless something is needed which is not available, or cannot be modified from something that is available, buying pre made parts is the least expensive and safest way to go.

Hey Charly the rebel, off subject, but I was stationed at Pirmasens 1956-58, still have fond memories, beautiful country, great people, and very great beer.

We used a furnace similar to the one that Zonie described when I was in college, and helped an instructror in the engineering department cast rifle part and knife fittings.

The tough part was getting the sand molds to the right moisture content, and getting the wooden "samples" out of the sand molds without a cave in.

Googles, gloves, sleeves and aprons were the fashion of the day. It was a great experience...but best done safely! :hatsoff:

Recommend you get one of these excellent books :
C.W.Ammen, "The MetalCasters Bible"

C.W.Ammen,"Lost Wax Investment casting"

B.Terry Aspin, "Foundarywork for the amateur"

Murray Bovin, "Centrifugal or Lost Wax Jewellery Casting"

Opi Untracht, "Jewellery design and technology"

Opi Untracht, "Metal techniques for Craftsmen"

there are many many foundary websites with furnace designs. A simple coke or charcoal natural draft furnace will melt brass or aluminium (for practice, not gun parts!).

while recreating the techniques of the past is great fun, please don't attempt to make your own crucibles. If they crack and you drop hot melt on your body, it could kill or maim you for life. Modern crucibles are cheap and last 20-30 pours if you take care of them. Buy the correct heatproof clothing, masks and gloves and WEAR THEM

Latest posts

Back