• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi Viz sight systems.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib load

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,I bought a hi viz front sight to help these old eyes.I wanted to solder it on,but its half metal and half plastic.Does anyone know if I can take it apart to get at the metal part?thanks,squib

hey squib which one do you have, sounds like a fix i need.oyea you know your fixing to take a beating for talking about high vis sights....
cool_shades.gif

Yea,I know.I just jumped in without a lifevest.I have a hi viz with a 3/8 dovetail.It has a orange tube that is bright in the sun.I bought it from the gun works.Its for a muzzleloader.All I want to do is solder it to the barrel.squib

Yep 'Hi-Viz' sights look horrible and suck! But........don't they beat the Hell out of not being able to shoot at all !!!
Macon

Hi,my dovetail is a little wide.That swif solder that you fellows recomended from brownells is the best I ve ever used.Its 25.00 and well worth every penny.I could use j and b weld.I will do one or the other.squib

Squib
My eyes have been wrecked by diabetes and seeing the front sight is a problem also. I have a custom built flinter with the front dovetail oversize, I installed my sight with JB weld . The high viz sights do look out of place but at least I can see it to shoot. The alternative for me is no shooting, which is no choice at all. Do what you need to get a front sight that will work for you.

One thing to know about hi-viz sights and "permanent" installations:

Many solvents absolutely kill the sights, and in fairly short order they're dim or don't transmit light at all. Do what you can to protect the sight from fading, but keep replacement in the back of your mind.

Two possibilities- one I've tried and one I haven't:

Epoxy a shim to the sight base in order to tighten it in the dovetail. (haven't tried it, but it's next).

Check the archery suppliers for replacement fiber-optic rods. This I've done, and it's a matter of finding one that will fit once you remove the existing one on your sight. This one I've done, and it's a good fix.

Oops, there's a #3:

One of my hunting pards experimented and painted his front sight white, then laid on a transparent layer of florescent orange. This may be my next attempt. It's in fact brighter in low light when hi-viz stays dark, and it's not over-bright in direct sunlight. Dandy and cheap.

Try making a heat sink to protect that plastic. Then "tin" the bottom of the sight, and "tin" the location on the barrel where you want to solder it. When putting it on the barrel, wrap the barrel with a wet rag, to act as a heat sink to protect your finish. Then clamp or hold the new sight in place, and instead of heating the sight, heat the barrel, until the two thin layers of solder melt together. Remove the heat, and he solder cools almost immediately. Use graphite, or some oil/grease, or other release agent on the barrel to keep solder drips from adhering to any part of the barrel you don't want to solder.

It doesn't take much to pull the heat away from that sight. Any metal will do the job if you can attach it between the bottom of the sight where you are going to tin a thin layer of solder, and that plastic insert. You might contact the manufacturer to find out how to take that apart to temporarily remove the plastic insert.

Almost 40 years ago, I used a similar tube sight made by Weaver Optics, on my shotgun to learn consistent mounting, hold and follow-through, when shooting clay targets. When your head was aligned properly to look at the plastic Orange insert, you saw a glowing orange light. If you head moved away in any direction, the light went out.

I credit that sight for the very fast improvement in my Trap shooting scores, shooting far fewer targets than everyone else I shot with back then.

I sold it to someone who was training his teenage son, and could not find the sight for sale. Its nice to see that similar sights( even with different color inserts) are now available for all kinds of rifles( See a Cabela's catalog). Tom Knapp, the TV famous Exhibition shooter, is using a similar sight on his shotguns, and advertises them for sale on his website. TomKnapp.net.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy replacement light sticks for those sights for about $5 bucks. It's usually .040 thick fiber optic strand. RMC makes a kit for them; I use fiber optic sights; I like them and they are easy to replace.

Forget the solder idea. Here is what I would do. I would see if I could flatten out the edge of the front sight a little with a brass punch; you only need a small area for it to fit snug. You could also tap the dovetail area down a little with that same brass punch. A little bit of shim material under the sight will tighten it up as well. No need to solder anything.

Now if you decide to do it anyway you can file the edges of the fiber optic strand on both end until it slides out; solder it on and put it back in with a little glue. Those strands are just heated at the end to make them a little larger so they don't come out.

Latest posts

Back