• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to achieve a speckled aged patina on metal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm wondering how to achieve this aged look on metal with it all speckled like you see on a lot of orignal muskets.
These orignal muskets also have a dark matte like finish that I want to replicate.Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Attachments

• H0171-L140640353.jpg
    H0171-L140640353.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I aged a loading lever to match such a look by wrapping in paper towel wetted with bleach and left to dry. It rusted it up some spots and not others YMMV.
Does the rust come out black or red for you? All the rust I get is the ugly red colour.

Does the rust come out black or red for you? All the rust I get is the ugly red colour.
Treat with boiling water and then buff and oil. Essentially browning in spots
Another option is cold blue. Lightly applied with a sponge then cleaned with navy jelly then the hot water treatment
You just want to touch and remove the sponge, don’t wipe as you just want splotches of color

Paint your steel parts with real black powder fouling and put it in a steamed up bathroom.

Don't drown the parts with humidity or the fouling will be washed away.

When the parts are damp sprinkle table salt on the parts.

Be patient and let the humidity, fouling and salt do its work.

You'll end up with blackish flecks.

PS: Degrease with acetone first.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.JPG
    IMG_3758.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got mostly dark specks, real corrosion specks. I grayed a cylinder by painting with mustard and letting it dry. Mustard just acts as a sludge to hold vinegar against the metal, specially in the nooks and crannies.

I screwed up on a pistol barrel once. I was about a third of the way into hot blueing it and had a emergency call from work so I didn’t have time to rinse it and I wanted to protect it from contamination I wrapped it up in tinfoil and left it in my basement shop. Several weeks later ( life got in the way) I found it where I had left it and peeled off the foil I thought I had ruined it. It was covered in plaque rust after carding it and oiling it, it looks like a pattern welded barrel the amount of pattern is determined by how much you card it.

Hi guys

I'm wondering how to achieve this aged look on metal with it all speckled like you see on a lot of orignal muskets.
These orignal muskets also have a dark matte like finish that I want to replicate.Can anyone help me?

Thanks
(Joke) You take the yolk from a Speckled Hen egg and paint it onto the metal; let sit for 3 minutes and rinse with orange juice!:p(Joke)

I used bleach in a spray bottle, spray let it sit for awhile- hosed if off with cold water,dried it made a paste with baking soda- coat barrel with it. let dry, card it off, wipe it down, coat with atf ( auto trans. fluid) let it sit for awhile clean off rub it back with steel wool or scotch bright. (degrease barrel first)

I used bleach in a spray bottle, spray let it sit for awhile- hosed if off with cold water,dried it made a paste with baking soda- coat barrel with it. let dry, card it off, wipe it down, coat with atf ( auto trans. fluid) let it sit for awhile clean off rub it back with steel wool or scotch bright. (degrease barrel first)
Can I see the finished product if you don't mind? This sounds interesting

After thoroughly washing and degreasing the metal, I cold brown it for several days. It gets a deep rust that I rub out until I get a nice even grey color. Sometimes I allow it to even pit, which can look very cool.
One important step is to first round off the crisp edges of it has an octagon barrel. These should appear worn as well.
Sometimes I will nick the barrel with the corner of an old file to give it some nice indentations as well.
Here are a few examples.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6521.jpeg
    IMG_6521.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3687.jpeg
    IMG_3687.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
After thoroughly washing and degreasing the metal, I cold brown it for several days. It gets a deep rust that I rub out until I get a nice even grey color. Sometimes I allow it to even pit, which can look very cool.
One important step is to first round off the crisp edges of it has an octagon barrel. These should appear worn as well.
Sometimes I will nick the barrel with the corner of an old file to give it some nice indentations as well.
Here are a few examples.
That's basically how I do mine but I use a sweat box. usually three coats of brown over three days, no carding. They I may leave it to rust for up to a week depending on the look I'm after. I too beat the hell out of the barrel with various tools.

Latest posts

Back