• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here is a new twist , at least for me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570tc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has any one ever heard of this down to the finial whiskering, when I put Tap water on the stock to raise the Whiskers, the stock turns grey? Same results with Distilled water? and it is Very hard to sand the stain from the stock!
The stock is curly maple. and I am sure it will cover with stock stain?

Has any one ever heard of this down to the finial whiskering, when I put Tap water on the stock to raise the Whiskers, the stock turns grey? Same results with Distilled water? and it is Very hard to sand the stain from the stock!
The stock is curly maple. and I am sure it will cover with stock stain?
Same thing happened to me. I had an extra fancy maple stock and the curl was gray. After using aqua fortis it was gone.

Attachments

• D792EC59-48D5-461A-8EC4-52F0AC890895.jpeg
    D792EC59-48D5-461A-8EC4-52F0AC890895.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Did a quick Google, "does tap water turn maple gray"?

Nothing useful species wise other than a couple hints that some maple trees might have an "inherent" mineral content or fungal content unique to that particular tree, which might cause a color change, but not specifically gray.

So, I have no idea myself. Never seen it.

Yes. On a cherry stock I had grey specks show up after I whiskered. Sanded it all off and did it again because I thought it might be from file dust.
Again the specks showed up so I sanded them out again with 320 and followed with 400.
I didn't whisker a 3rd time.

I have seen one oak stile on a door turn black when water based finishes were applied. I never figured out what was in the wood to cause that.

Ya, your ok, your whiskering , not staining. Please do the whiskering properly.
Your golden, it's wood. But good job checking, questions are good, and this is a place to find answers.
Don't "hurry" to finish,, many times, that anxious need to finish, makes a build loose that really nice edge above the rest.
Good luck.

The Grey is from sandpaper
Can you expand? Do you find one brand of sandpaper is more likely to cause this? Do you know what in the sandpaper is causing this?
Thank you for this information as I have wondered about this for years. Our Axel Nobel sales representatives didn't even know what was causing it. I always thought it was something in the piece of wood causing some sort of reaction.

Back