• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with recoloring buckskin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiminTexas

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is the deal.... I have a buckskin shirt and pants that are in perfect condition except that I got a stain on the front of the shirt. In trying to clean the stain off I washed the color out of a large spot on the front. Well, the stain is gone, but it looks worse than it did with the stain. Can I bleach out the rest of the color in the buckskin and start over again or will the bleach ruin the leather?

I'm thinking bleach wouldn't be to good on the leather. Depending what kind of leather you have you could maybe try and re-dye the spot or the whole thing in a darker color. Or maybe even jsut give the whole shirt a good dunking in cool water and see if the color runs from the rest of it.

As a last option just put the stain back on and call it character :wink:

I once used Rit Dye Remover on a hide that was dyed dark red and it turned out brown and looked well worn. I would try that before I would use bleach.

As suggested you can try the Rit Dye remover and if that doesn't work get some oxalic acid - it's sold as wood bleach at most hardware stores - after bleaching with the OA wash it good several times in clear cool water - wring out GENTLY and then lay out on a couple of layers of towels to soak up as much moisture as possible - repeat with dry towels until the leather is dry.
The above is assuming the leather is commercial tanned....

What did you use when you washed the color out on the front? I'd try that again on the whole thing if I wanted to remove all the dye. If the color comes out that easily I'd have questions about the colorfastness of the dye job anyway.

For what it's worth them Injuns used white clay and it was supposed to work great. I think Crazy Crow sells white clay. I'd give it a go.

Back