• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help making a tomahawk sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimkennedy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im wanting to make a tomahawk sheath, but I'm not sure on the style or design. Any thoughts or pictures that anyone would like to share would be appreciated. Im just to clumsy, and keep cutting myself with my tomahawk stuck in my belt.
thanks all a FlatlanderKansas

Don't feel bad. I keep telling myself I will eventually make myself a sheath for mine, and still occasionally nick myself with mine. Then again, according to an old friend, no bladed instrument is ever truly yours until you've bled on it. so, um, uh, Congrats!!! I think. :doh:

The shoulder strap. I like it myself. If you need to undo a belt for some reason you don't have to deal with a hawk falling out.

Here's another one I finished about a month ago. Trying to improve on these each time. The inside is lined with rawhide, but I don't think that's necessary to be honest.

The rawhide is a good detail, it will help to keep the hawk from cutting thru.

I personally would not carry one on a belt with out some kind of catch/holding system the one that is posted by Sligobill is one example!

I made one years ago that I carried on my trapline as a kid. It consisted of two metal rings, sewn into the bottom of the sheath. Just feed the strap from above, thru the top one and back thru the bottom ring and pull tight.

While if I were fighting Indians it might be just a tad slow to get too....! However I wasn't fighting off renegade Indians,I was trying to keep from getting a scar over my kidney like Rilfleman likes to refer too!speaks of! :stir: :grin:

Sometime practicality has to out way the need to be HC! :idunno: I never lost the hatchet and never got cut by it but, it sure was a handy item on the trapline!

OK overnight someone posted a pic on another site of a different type of hawk sheath than I had seen before.

So here a couple of pics! It was made by a fellar that uses the handle Deibert!

deibert4_zps30782f36.jpg

deibert5_zps7d1f6860.jpg

There is a strap from the blade cover from the hawk, (unable to see in the pics). It then goes over the back or the eye of the head, which helps to keep it in place! The length of this strap would be more critical, as when it stretches, and it will!
If too long it will slip off the back of the head and allow for the edge of the hawk to become exposed! As rifleman would say, "leaving a scar over your kidney" Also with out a modification there is no way to belt hang this one, but would work under a sash!
The snap is a little too modern but you might be able to age it, and make it look more appropriate for your needs!

SligoBill said:
Here's another one I finished about a month ago. Trying to improve on these each time. The inside is lined with rawhide, but I don't think that's necessary to be honest.

I really like it, but I would have used a darker thread for everything except the turtle ...

just one guy's opinion - free and no doubt well worth the price!

Make good smoke!

Back