• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Roger's Rangers Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Gang
A local blacksmith shop in the area offers an opportunity to pay for a 4-hour seminar/ course which will allow me to forge a knife or hatchet/ tomahawk. I thought that it would be a great chance for my one son and a friend of mine to have some time together doing manly things.
I have an interest in trying to replicate a Roger's Rangers tomahawk (to the best of my ability.)
Do any actual specimens exist or are modern reproductions based off of early prints? I would appreciate any input members might have regarding the original style of these tomahawks.
Thanks.

Braveheart forge has one they say is based on the originials, basically a regular thomahawk with a diamond shaped spike opposite the blade. Quick search for Rogers Rangers hatchet showed four or five different makers and they were all the same style, Good luck on your project.

Thanks Appalachian. I did do a search and found about the same info as you stated. Looks like that will be the style to try and duplicate. I wonder if the diamond shape of the spike posed a problem during combat or self-defense. It seems to me that the flair near the base of the spike would have had a tendency to get "stuck" into an opponent during combat. I would think that smooth transition would make for easier removal.

Thanks Appalachian. I did do a search and found about the same info as you stated. Looks like that will be the style to try and duplicate. I wonder if the diamond shape of the spike posed a problem during combat or self-defense. It seems to me that the flair near the base of the spike would have had a tendency to get "stuck" into an opponent during combat. I would think that smooth transition would make for easier removal.
The handle would give you a good bit of leverage for retrieval. But I would sooner have a plain spike.

Thanks for your input Solanco. My thoughts exactly. We're practically neighbors. I live up in Brownstown.
This is a Tallpine hawk very similar to mine.
1656696775360.png

I have seen several such hawks made from older ball peen hammers. It would be an interesting project and would give the hawk an unusual back story.

IronHand

Back