• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID'ing shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Since I was a kid, I remember seeing a double-barrel shotgun hanging over the fireplace at my great aunt and uncles' house. Last year, my great uncle passed away. When visiting this past summer, my aunt said that the shotgun had been taken down, because it fell apart. She also asked if I had any idea where it was from or what kind. I'm posting a few pictures down below, because my knowledge is pretty limited about shotguns. I think it's an English style, back-action percussion. I would guess it was a mid-grade gun at best in terms of production quality. Beyond that I don't know.

First question: I wondered if anyone could look at the pics of proof marks, etc. and see what they think.

Second question: the reason it "fell apart" was that the barrel lug holding the key broke off from the under-rib. What is the best way to get it fixed? I know that it needs to be resoldered, but I imagine you can't just take a torch and a roll of solder to it.

Sissysshotgun7_zpsfb03c03f.jpg

Sissysshotgun6_zpsdb21ea1f.jpg

These are the proof marks I found underneath the barrel.

Sissysshotgun4_zpsc3006e66.jpg

I think this is just an inlay, but in case it's some kind of maker's mark or signature.

Sissysshotgun5_zpsbdd793a3.jpg

Right lock.

Sissysshotgun3_zps4efd17d1.jpg

Sissysshotgun2_zps8fbb3917.jpg

Left lock

Sissysshotgun1_zps72ad6abc.jpg

The proof marks look like Burmingham Proof marks. The gun appears to be a trade or guild gun, that is solid but not fancy. No makers name or Retailer name on the locks. So, it's likely to be pretty hard to identify the actual maker.

i would back that up.
those are english proofs.

if there are no further markings, that gun could be from everywhere here in europe. english make is not possible, 'cause english makers must mark their guns, also in the old days.

the gun could also be of belgium or dutch origin - those are the countrys that made thousends and thousends of guns like this. cheap double barreld guns for trade in africa and elswere. those guns been produced until WWII because of the gun laws in the african colonies. maybe that shotgun was shipped to england, proofed there and shipped to the african colonies or the hudsons bay co. or any other trading place. there are many ways such a gun can show up everywere in the world.

Agreed. It looks nicer than the African trade guns that I have seen. Looks a lot like guns made for US retailers, which certainly includes Birmingham and Belgium manufacturers. Such guns generally have a US retailer's name engraved on the locks.

The real question is what other marks are on it. I can see, but not read a stamp. We don't have a picture of the top rib, which might have a maker's name, or not. Perhaps it was made by "London Twist" or his partner, "Fine London Twist."

I'll double check my pictures, but I tried to take shots of every mark on the gun. I never saw any kind of signature or anything like that. Nothing on the rib. The only other marks I ever saw were about 10 places where he carved his initials into it. Not like it's ever gonna leave the family anyway.

What y'all are saying makes a lot of sense. Once I got a good close look at it and knew what to look for, I ended up seeing a few very similar shotguns at various places in the last several months. Pretty sure I saw one at a Cracker Barrel once. Nonetheless, that one's still special just for who's it was. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back