• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help IDing maker of 1858 New Army Replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat S

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up this 1858 New Army Replica at a gun show today. But I'm not sure how to determine the maker. I assume Pietta, but would like you ideas.
Here is what I know.
The machine work was really bad
- Barrel Marked
-- "MADE IN ITALY" on left
-- "DIXIE GUN WORKS, INC," on top
-- "Cal 44 BLACK POWDER ONLY" on right
-- Last 3 digit of serial number "325" under lever
- Cylinder marked
-- "<><>017325" with the diamonds overlapping
-- There is a Shield with a circle above it
-- "PN" with a circled star above it

Also the original owner engraved his name, address, SSN, and "Made in 1980" under the grips. ::

1858.jpg

It has seen quite of bit of use, but it looks like it was used for re-enactment only since the bore has no sign of a round ever going through it. That part looks brand new.

One last question,
With the hammer cocked, should I be able to see the V groove in the back strap? I didn't notice it until I got it home, but the hammer is in the way if I try to line up the top of the post with the top of the V.

Thanks,
Pat

Dixie has used a number of suppliers for their guns.
It may be a Pietta, EuroArms, Armi, SanPaulo, Peddersoli....???

The presence of machining marks on the frame indicate to me that it may have been a "kit gun".
Because these kit guns will operate without any real work, many people build them without taking the time to sand off the machine marks (like they should).
The blueing on the barrel and frame look slightly different. This also indicates (to me) that it was likely a kit gun because most of the manufactures are able to match the colors better.

The nose of the hammer on both of my Remingtons (.36 cal and .44 cal) is below the bottom of the sight groove in the frame when the guns are in the full cocked position.

The PN is the proof mark.

Thanks for the info. The blueing is different. It's almost like a parkerized finish on the frame (very dull and rough) and shiny on the barrel.

Took it to the range today too.
I was suprised by the accuracy of it. Much better than I expected. Very fun shooter. :)

I have the same revolver (I think) mine is made by F.LLIPIETTA in Italy, and is the 1858 New Army Model also. I shoot a .451 diameter roundball on top of a wonderwad and 25 grains of Goex FFFg. Mine has adjustable target sights and is very accurate out to 25 yards. I have snowshoe hunted and shot a few pine squirrels with it besides blow a lot of targets apart. Even though I use a wonderwad, I still crisco the cylinders. In my younger days with a old Navy model revolver (I traded soon after) I had a chain fire and that was the last time I ever wanted that experience....

They are a lot of fun to shoot but a real pain to clean. You have to be so careful about all the fowling that seems to go everywhere...

Enjoy your revolver...

I had a Uberti and Pietta. Both had their names stamped on them. Looks like a kit gun. If it's a good kit gun the timing will usually be right.
RLH

Latest posts

Back