• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help...Uberti Remington New Model Army (1858)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt.John

Pilgrim
Reaction score
A couple weeks back I purchased a Remington New Model Army. Last weekend I took it out to my range shot it several times and had a great day out. I got home sat down at my bench and set about the task of disassembly and cleaning. I watched a video on the subject posted by "Duelist1954" and followed every word he said and every step. When I was done I worked the action and it will not go to 'Full Cock' without pushing forward a bit on the trigger. Now it worked perfectly beforehand and now it doesn't. I am properly confused because it will function fine until the cylinder is reinstalled; once the cylinder goes in...no 'full cock'. The internals all look good except for the flat on to of the hand. If I loosen the trigger/bolt spring so that the bolt doesn't engage, it will work. Note: When it doesn't work the bolt is properly engaged in the cylinder stop and everything else appears to be correct. I hope someone has seen this before because I am pulling out my last 5 strands of hair! If so Please Help!

Sounds much like it was installed upside down. Easy mistake for a first-timer.
Whatever it is, should be easy to rectify. As Phil says, just do it again. Long as you don't drop a spring or screw, you will eventually going to get it right.
Good learning experience, don't be afraid to experiment. Those parts don't break easily!

The bolt/trigger spring may not be in position correctly. The leg of the spring that pushes on the bolt may be short and needs to be moved forward a "smidgen". The hole in the spring that the screw goes into may be a bit large allowing for some play fore and aft. Loosen the screw and pull the spring forward and then tighten it this will cause the tip of the bolt leg to engage the bolt with more surface contact and not slip off the bolt. :dunno:

Back