• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help, I am in desperate need of ' context'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sticky," may have been the wrong term here, different forums.s call them different things. Think of a sticky/post it note.
View attachment 89254
See how there are several posts at the top of this subforum that show a pin and a lock to the right.
They are pinned to this place so they are easy to find and refer back to. They are locked so that people don't continue to post on the topic diluting the information that made the topic valuable.

The Audubon quote and the letter from Christian Oerter would be nice to have so conveniently placed.
[/QUO
Brokennock,
By golly that is handy! Thanks.
John

For a test, I used my 0.715" ball as the test and in my flat palm poured 2fg black powder to more or less cover the ball. The powder was then weighed and came to 90 grains. I did the same test 5 times and the charges ranged from 85 grains to 110 grains depending on how flat I held my palm. Slightly cupped was less, flat was more. The variation was much greater than when I use a volume measure, but of little adverse effect on target. Of course, with my smooth bore shooting skill, that's not saying much.
I did that too with similar results. Then in Carry the Wind, a novel, Ol’Scratch just cupped his hand. I could eye ball that to about ten to fifteen grains in my cupped hand.

My first build was a full stock Hawken .54 with an L and R lock. Young and stupid I had a 1/16 touch hole. If I closed the frizzen, and rammed home the ball it self primed, filling the pan compleatly. I was shooting GO 3f

Back