• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tehó•kat

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got into guns going to an 1812 reenactment in Grade 7. Just now I am getting into actually owning my own antique and repro muzzle loaders.

A few weeks back I ended up going to a gun show and meeting Peter Alexander. He is the author of the book "The Gunsmith of Greenville County: Building the American Longrifle. Anyways I am taking his course as I thought this was a once in a life time opportunity. For the course I will be making a J.P. Beck "Lion Gun". I chose this one to build because I know Beck is a big name of the original builders, also I wanted to really challenge myself.

I am unsure if I will continue to build American Longrifles as I want to build other guns.

Specifically I want to build Indian Trade Guns as you could say I am Native American; My People the Oneida moved from New York to Ontario Canada in the 1840s. There is a painting with my 5x Great Grandparents Honyere & Sally Martin Doxtator fighting in the battle of Oriskany in 1777. What I would give to have a gun used by them, but I plan on building the one Sally is handing off to Honyere.

I also have an original 1777 Charleville cut down to a carbine, and a few original native used Canoe guns that I intend on making replicas of.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, places to look, etc.

I live in Canada but will be going to Pennsylvania Tuesday to pick up my parts from Knob Mountain Muzzleloading for the Beck build. Wish me luck.

Welcome. You are starting off much better than I did. I built my first in my garage with no help. It shows… I’d have loved to have been in a class.

Welcome. You are starting off much better than I did. I built my first in my garage with no help. It shows… I’d have loved to have been in a class.
Any chance you still got it? I would like to see if you do. I am always looking to learn from others. I met another contemporary builder at a gunshow last week. He made a sweet tiger maple stock NW Trade Gun.

Welcome. a class is a great way to start. The best advice everyone will give you is to slow down and don't try to rush through the work. much harder to do than many think. what has worked well for me is set aside 30-60 minutes a day to work on the gun. set a alarm and when it goes off you stop. long enough to finish a task, won't get too frustrated doing something, make consistent progress to stay motivated, and easier to stay organized.

I got into guns going to an 1812 reenactment in Grade 7. Just now I am getting into actually owning my own antique and repro muzzle loaders.

A few weeks back I ended up going to a gun show and meeting Peter Alexander. He is the author of the book "The Gunsmith of Greenville County: Building the American Longrifle. Anyways I am taking his course as I thought this was a once in a life time opportunity. For the course I will be making a J.P. Beck "Lion Gun". I chose this one to build because I know Beck is a big name of the original builders, also I wanted to really challenge myself.

I am unsure if I will continue to build American Longrifles as I want to build other guns.

Specifically I want to build Indian Trade Guns as you could say I am Native American; My People the Oneida moved from New York to Ontario Canada in the 1840s. There is a painting with my 5x Great Grandparents Honyere & Sally Martin Doxtator fighting in the battle of Oriskany in 1777. What I would give to have a gun used by them, but I plan on building the one Sally is handing off to Honyere.

I also have an original 1777 Charleville cut down to a carbine, and a few original native used Canoe guns that I intend on making replicas of.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, places to look, etc.

I live in Canada but will be going to Pennsylvania Tuesday to pick up my parts from Knob Mountain Muzzleloading for the Beck build. Wish me luck.
Best of luck be with you on your journey down this path.

charge, to keep the cost per shot down somewhat.

Any chance you still got it? I would like to see if you do. I am always looking to learn from others. I met another contemporary builder at a gunshow last week. He made a sweet tiger maple stock NW Trade Gun.
Oh I still have it… it serves as a reminder to take my time and learn before I undertake a task. I’m not sure you could learn much from it. It would make you laugh uncontrollably or cry. On a positive note, it shoots straight and in a dark room is beautiful.

Back