• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from NJ

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been lurking for a while - finally signing up. Have been shooting and collecting US military firearms since I was a teen with my Dad; started with Civil War carbines and pistols, moved on to WW2, then Vietnam, then GWOT.

Have recently been reading a lot about the Rev era and am thinking of picking up a clone/repro .mil musket (Bess or Charleville?) as a wall hanger and occasional shooter. Still in research phase, reading books, and learning a lot. Appreciate all the expertise here.

Any advice on a good entry point .mil musket in the Rev era is appreciated!

TFB

Welcome, have fun on your journey. Where in NJ? I’m in Hamilton

Anthony

Welcome from Maine
Nit Wit. Ask your question in the smooth bore section for the best results.
Nit Wit

Hello all,

Been lurking for a while - finally signing up. Have been shooting and collecting US military firearms since I was a teen with my Dad; started with Civil War carbines and pistols, moved on to WW2, then Vietnam, then GWOT.

Have recently been reading a lot about the Rev era and am thinking of picking up a clone/repro .mil musket (Bess or Charleville?) as a wall hanger and occasional shooter. Still in research phase, reading books, and learning a lot. Appreciate all the expertise here.

Any advice on a good entry point .mil musket in the Rev era is appreciated!

TFB
Nice plan! Hard for us in PA to imagine having to "register" a flintlock as a regular 'firearm' per NJ laws!

Thanks guys.

Will post in the smoothbore forum too - appreciate the tip.

I’m in Morristown. Good Rev war location, no?
My very first Rev War enactment was at Morristown about 1975-76. Bi-Cen era had lots of interest by the public in history, not too much "PC"! I believe the Morristown encampment one year prior to Valley Forge was just as tough, but Valley Forge got all the publicity! The artwork on the US postage stamp showing Washington praying at VF is classic; I think it was from the 1930's? I live near VF, and if it had not been saved back in the day, (first as State Park then as Federal) it would be one big rolling hills full of housing developments and shopping centers. (Although King of Prussia shopping center is one of the most famous in the US). It's right next to VF Nat'l. Park; NOT a battlefield, but the location where Washington's army survived to "fight another season".

Yup I’m close to both the historical park and the museum in Morristown. I have been a few times to see the Brown Besses and the original Ferguson rifle they have on display.

Being local it always struck me as odd that Valley Forge got all the press, but Jockey Hollow was arguably a more brutal and critical winter…

Welcome TF Black, having grown up in Jersey, Hudson County back in the 50's & 60's I got used to everybody Dissing on Jersey. As long as I know the truth I don't care what the rest of the world thinks.

Back