• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heavy Denim, where to buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have found some .025-.026 Denim at Jo-Anns, but I want to try some .033-.037 in my 73 cal. rifle.

It [.025-.026] works fine with a wet patch, but when I use some of the dry patch solutions and a smaller ball, they tare. :curse:

Hopefully with the smaller ball and thicker patch, I won't have to pound them in quite so hard! ::

Thanks,
Bruce

BS I am waiting on 73barrel i plan on using some of my old Levis the wife was going to put about 10 in the trash thay are 100percent cotton get alot of shots out of 20 legs.

That is one option, buy some levis at the second hand store...............Thanks!

GOOD LUCK!
I've always preferred the smaller balls and thicker patching.
I spent a whole friday and better than 1/2 a saturday on a quest for all cotton .022-.024 compressed material. Finally found some at a little out-of-the-way "remnant store".
Ended up being a medium/heavy denum. I bought all 4 1/2 yards for $6.00 (lets not count all the gas, time, and "pit-stops" at local watering holes :haha:).
Bring your mics. Mine measured .033 with a snug feel on the mic. and compresses to .022 dry. Just for giggles I shot the same five patches over and over again without adding any lube after the initial application. They all shot 7 times before patch failure started to show in my .75 w/110 2Fg using the .715 cast ball.
Denum comes in a lot of diff. thicknesses, and not all is 100% cotton. Be sure to burn a few threads to make sure. DO NOT trust the labels or the salesperson.
By the way, this material sounds like it would be .009 over my bore. But, baking in some good BB I can start the balls easily enough with mod/heavy thumb presure, and I can shoot all day without wiping between shots. When I'm all done and go to clean it,,, it's like I've only shot 1 ball all day. That's what I call a nice load! :front:

Well, I just bought a yard of 21 ounce 100% cotton denim! Lavender, how PRETTY! :rolleyes:

Back