• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heat treating Perdersoli frisson?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly.
How, oh how many archeological digs revealed any broken frizzens? As far as I know, zippo. I would hope that you will be able to shoot it enough in your lifetime to wear out the frizzen.

Occasionally you see some that are resoled with a piece of carbon steel brazed on or dovetailed, this was an effective way of repairing a non working musket in the field without replacing the actual part.

I’ll show my ignorance here with a question that doesn’t deserve it’s on thread:
If a frizzen is already heat treated (hardened) why does one need to do it again?

It generally does not.

The only reason to reharden a part is if it lost is case hardened surface or possible was not tempered correctly the first time.

Some folks have OCD issues with wanting to keep a musket as new as possible, this is generally not possible with a mechanical item that deprecates with usage, which I believe is the case here.

Latest posts

Back