• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken/chipped out full cock notch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Pedersoli 10 gauge sxs from Dixie. After the sixth shot the left lock's full cock notch on the tumbler broke/chipped out. The hammer will not hold at all on full cock. I do have a replacement coming from Flintlocks Etc that I paid for ($51.95 shipped) and Pedersoli seems to be willing to ship one to me for free (they got back with me after I had bought one from Flintlocks Etc).

What causes the full cock notch, or for that matter the half cock notch, to chip out besides bad heat treat? I would like to avoid this happening again. Thanks.

edit- I should add that in roughly 33 years of muzzleloading, this is the first lock I've broken. So this could be a fluke.

Likely a bad heat treat and/or bad full cock notch angle. You end up knapping the notch like a flint and it chips. When you get the new one, install the tumbler and before you install the mainspring hold the lock nose down and slowly push up on the sear bar. If the angle is right, the hammer shouldn't move back. It should just drop. If it moves back, you are fighting the mainspring. If it moves forward, it might release when jarred.

Watching this thread. I bought a used Pedersoli 12g that did the same thing, but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

They don’t have enough steel for the parts in question. They should make the lock parts a bit beefier, but that would raise the price.

Back