• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tenderfoot has a project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezer

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm new to the world of ML, Never owned one, never shot one. I did build a beautiful T/C Hawken for a co-worker (see my intro) and he gave me a CVA Kentucky rifle kit as a “Thank You”. I found this site when a read an article from 2007 "Does CVA equal junk" which is what I've been told. There are screws and a flint missing that I have found online. I want this rifle to hunt Pa's ML season. I have the talent and enough tools for this project, but have a lot to learn and many questions. I have been doing some research and really don't want to spend $265 on a new lock.

This is a CVA Kentucky Rifle kit made by Jukar in Spain. The first thing I noticed is the tang doesn't match up with the stock. I believe I need to heat and bend it to get the correct alignment. The second is there is a primer hole and not an insert. Would I be better off drilling and taping it for an insert?

The serial number is 125xxx, When was this made? Is it one of the early models that had major problems? Outside of replacing the lock, can I make this more reliable? Can I harden the necessary parts myself, or can I replace soft suspect parts?

Attachments

• IMG_20221225_140242901 (1).jpg
    IMG_20221225_140242901 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221225_140341449.jpg
    IMG_20221225_140341449.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221225_140354223 (1).jpg
    IMG_20221225_140354223 (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221225_140627473.jpg
    IMG_20221225_140627473.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221214_164118795 (3).jpg
    IMG_20221214_164118795 (3).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221214_164136920 (1).jpg
    IMG_20221214_164136920 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I would shape the tang using some heat and then build the rifle. The week point on these is often the lock but it may function okay. I built one 40+ years ago along with a pistol. The lock on the pistol was fine for a cheap lock but the frizzen on the rifle was manure and I never could get it to harden. I think I still have the frizzen in a junk drawer after replacing it. Both guns are long gone. They were my first muzzleloaders.

Is the tang tempered? If not then I’d imagine heating the metal, bending it then a couple thermocycles would be better than bending cold…. Of course I could well be talking out of my ignorant butt.

I’d cold bend the tang. No sense getting anything that’s part of the breach plug hot.

You have the 2nd model of this rifle that CVA put out. The difference is a different style lock and instead of a brass sheet you wrapped around the joint on the stock it has a brass plate that goes between them. No real increase in quality the lock was still manure. L & R locks makes a rep[acement lock but that is going to be $250. Bend the tang cold, it doesn't have to be bent that much to work. Run a dowel down the barrel to the breech plug, mark it at the muzzle. Lay it on the flat with the touch hole to see where the face of the breech is in relation to the touch hole. All of these I have seen the breech plug is too long and the touch hole has been drilled at an angle. If that is the case with yours you would be drilling into the breech plug trying to put a vent liner in, not recommended. You have lots of wood that needs to be taken off to make it look right. CVA hasn't sold these in a long time but the same basic kit is still being sold under a different name. The quality isn't any better it just costs 10 times more.

As others have said, just cold bend that tang. As for the lock, yeah, some leave a lot to be desired but there are also some that work very well. I have one on a CVA Kentucky style pistol that's a really old but sparks just fine. Back then both the Kentucky pistol and rifle used the same lock and you might have one of the good ones. You won't know until you try it. People who experienced bad locks are quick to call them "manure" and I guess they can't be blamed but they all weren't junk. Try it out before you look for a solution to a problem that you just might not have.

Last edited:
Back