• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken vs Seneca T/C Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC Hawken will have a 15/16 barrel, the Seneca has a 13/16 barrel.
Thanks, it's a Seneca and that is what I thought it would be, but always thought I wanted a Hawken until I started carrying around a Seneca in the woods without a sling. The dang thing is heavy enough. The gun has a lot of history in the state of WV as it was the reason that WV started a BP season back in 78.

Early models were not stamped with the model name.
Yes sir you are right I just bought a Seneca made in the 70's and it doesn't say Seneca on the barrel it says Thompson Center CAL 45

Attachments

• 20231228_155303.jpg
    20231228_155303.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 0
Yes sir you are right I just bought a Seneca made in the 70's and it doesn't say Seneca on the barrel it says Thompson Center CAL 45
Yeah, back in my early stages of addiction it created quite a bit of confusion for me. A couple years after I bought my first T/C .50 Hawken, I think that sprouted hair on my chest, the guns that would become known to me as the Renegade and Seneca began showing up on a local dealers shelves. There was no internet back then and I can't remember exactly but I think it was a year or so before they showed up in an edition of Gun Digest. I regarded the Gun Digest as most people did the Sears and Roebuck catalog at Christmas. Eventually I go my hands on Thompson Center catalog, that cleared things up and cost me the price of both a .54 Renegade, .45 Seneca, and associated trappings. Neither with model names on the barrel.

I'm very fond of most T/C muzzleloaders and I've owned a bunch. The Seneca is a nice trim and, to my eye, elegant rifle but it's certainly not as robust as the Hawken model.

A Seneca barrel will drop right into a Cherokee stock but there will be a gap between the end of the stock
and the barrel under rib. From the hook breach to the end of the stock, the Seneca is a little longer. All else
will line up just fine.

And a Cherokee barrel will drop in a Seneca stock if you lop off an inch or so of the underrib.

Back