• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken sling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone here use a sling on their Hawken or Hawken type rifle? If so, what type sling do you use?

Thanks

I don't but my friend used a slip-on the buttstock one to carry into and out of the woods, not to actually hunt with.

If you just want to carry the rifle somewhere and don't care about being authentic, a shotgun slip on sling works on almost anything. If you want to look like a real mountain man listen to the experts. I'm taking my shotgun sling to a snowshoe/mud shoot tomorrow.

I have a couple of nylon slings that work ok but seem out of place on a traditional style muzzleloader, especially along with my leather possibles bag and buffalo powder horn. Perhaps I should have stated in the opening post that I’m hoping some folks might share pictures of their set up. I’m just looking for ideas.

The gun I am looking to put a sling on is a Thompson Center Hawken with sling swivel studs already installed.

I have a couple of nylon slings that work ok but seem out of place on a traditional style muzzleloader, especially along with my leather possibles bag and buffalo powder horn. Perhaps I should have stated in the opening post that I’m hoping some folks might share pictures of their set up. I’m just looking for ideas.

The gun I am looking to put a sling on is a Thompson Center Hawken with sling swivel studs already installed.

I'm not worried about being HC orPC. I use a sling for hunting. I like Cobra style slings.

Attachments

• 1kWwyAq.jpg
    1kWwyAq.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 125
I broke 2 ribs when I was trying to protect my rifle when I fell. I use a sling now so I have 2 hands free.

I checked the Site and do not see the one I have. They have one slip on and some that attach to sling studs.

That's good to know. I've installed them myself on a few rifles. A little care taken with the rear stud install, is all that's needed to make it look clean.

I'm not worried about being HC orPC. I use a sling for hunting. I like Cobra style slings.
I'm with Ron,, I like a basic military adjustable heavy leather strap with the wide padded section for shoulder,, aka: Cobra.
There are usually several selections available at most places that market gun accessories.

I use a bag on my pack for walking in , and use the rifle bare when hunting , slings catch ,and worst of all make you inclined to use them , which is when the biggest fattest pointyest stag will pop up in front of you .

With point of muzzle up.. I can get that rifle flipped under arm and shouldered to the ready pretty quickly…. Just as long as ramrod is tightly in there. Even with my 29 1/2” Double . I don’t use sling all the time, only on occasion. Yet it’s needed in my environment for hunting. Plus from a safety standpoint I feel it’s helpful to me.

I use the slip on one from October for just hunting.

Mountain men used a horse to carry the Hawken. I use a sling. My way is harder but I can't afford a horse.

I use an old T/C slip over sling. The Hawken seems to be getting heavier each year. Works nice for climbing into a stand. If I happen to get a deer , makes the drag out easier.

Simple slings that can be taken off and put back on are nice. Been plenty of times I prefer no sling on Rifle.
I’m still young enough to have no issues carrying… However I’m old enough to appreciate a sling, certainly need one when dragging a deer.
I just installed on my 10lb Double a heavy duty sling I’ve had for years. It makes that Kodiak Rifle Bear able to use all day. Otherwise…. a Bit much to lug around. A sling is a must for me to have while hunting.
3B46F323-0D7A-484B-9D0C-F381FF0A25E1.png

Attachments

• A2065D6C-2B6E-4C93-93E0-029F7BAAC0EC.jpeg
    A2065D6C-2B6E-4C93-93E0-029F7BAAC0EC.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 68
My jaeger and my FDC had front swivels and the button on the stock when i got them so they have slings. So did my contract rifle and bess. Neither of my Hawkens have a sling. I don't sling carry much but they can be handy, I mostly only use a sling when I need both hands to get up the moutain I hunt and when taking a leak.

I use the slip on one from October for just hunting.

Mountain men used a horse to carry the Hawken. I use a sling. My way is harder but I can't afford a horse.
I no longer have horses. I only have a pony and two donkeys. 😄

The sling is not a matter of necessity for me but of looks. I’m just trying to get ideas for something I think looks good. I might make one if I figure out what I want.

Back