• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Shop Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Comer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always wanted a Hawken Shop Kit but can't make a stick man with sticks if you know what I mean nor do I have the time, so my question is if I got a kit is there somebody that is well known on the forum that put together kits for a fee? Thanks

In all the years I've been here, I've never seen anyone volunteer or offer doing something like that, and it makes sense.
There are pro builders here for sure that share with us, but each build is something they create and offer for sale. And plenty of folks that tackle their own kits. Some may commission a build with particular requests but each will have nuances of that builders technique or style.
Accepting a kit from someone to assemble opens a whole nuther can of worms. Kit's have little quirks that need to be dealt with, and there is no single way to deal with each of those quirks.
There are too many variables left open, whats acceptable to one persons kit may be an eyesore too another.
"Oh that looks nice, but I would have done this instead"
And it's the TIME, how much is Time worth? A well done kit can take 100hrs (or more)
A $1,000? that's $10 an hour. Ya make more at McDonalds.

Agree with @necchi. Ask the Hawken Shop if they can provide the kit “in the white” for you to do only the metal and wood finish or they may can recommend a builder for the whole thing. The problems with shipping a gun or kit these days would discourage me from wanting to ship one back and forth, nor to mention the cost.

Ask the Hawken shop.

For me, I would never accept any precarve stock to assemble for someone else. Precarve stocks often have problems that can not be fixed. I would trust Kibler but those are made differently. Hawken rifles are very difficult inlet in the tang and breech area. Several things are happening at once, if you do not understand the process it will get messed up.

Any shipping of guns or kits needs to be done in a wooden box, like Kibler.

A $1,000? that's $10 an hour. Ya make more at McDonalds.
In and Out burger pays $20 in my area.

I looked at their kits and guns when they were in St. Louis almost 40 years ago. At that time I thought they were priced higher than they should be but that's just my thinking.

I wouldn't put a kit together for anyone without them being there every minute I worked on it. I once put a Lyman Hawkin kit together years ago for a young fellow of 18. Everything went fine until I started blueing the barrel. I degreased it and put the blueing compound on it. That thing foamed up into a ugly mess and scared the ,(you know what) out of the kid as he was very particular and just knew I had ruined his barrel. When I cleaned up the barrel the bluing was really nice, I couldn't find a flaw on it only then did a smile come across the young lads face. I haven't put a kit together since then.

For me, I would never accept any precarve stock to assemble for someone else. Precarve stocks often have problems that can not be fixed. I would trust Kibler but those are made differently. Hawken rifles are very difficult inlet in the tang and breech area. Several things are happening at once, if you do not understand the process it will get messed up.
This sums up my feelings exactly.

it is something I would be willing to do but am hesitant because I am still learning. I make mistakes that I should really know better than to do. if someone is paying money the job should be done correctly.

Thank You! Mike Compton
IMG_5131.jpeg
IMG_5132.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpeg
IMG_5135.jpeg

I have built rifles for others in the past and wouldn't hesitate to put a kit together depending on where it came from, some I wouldn't touch for any price. However I would not do one where it involved shipping it back and forth, too much chance of damage. Also if I gave a price to do it that would be THE price.

I have built rifles for others in the past and wouldn't hesitate to put a kit together depending on where it came from, some I wouldn't touch for any price. However I would not do one where it involved shipping it back and forth, too much chance of damage. Also if I gave a price to do it that would be THE price.
Mike Compton was a great guy to work with

That’s a nice looking Hawken, @Jim Comer ! Thank you for following up on this thread.

I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. I was considering a Hawken Shop rifle but did not think I had the time or skills to turn out a first-class result, which is what I wanted. I contacted a couple of builders, but none wanted to do it. In my case, I found a NOS Green River barrel and sent it to John Bergmann, who built a fine custom Hawken around it “from the plank.”

The last time I checked, the Hawken Shop had lined up some builders who would assemble and finish their kits properly. If it comes up again, I would contact them about getting one of their kits assembled. However, Mike Compton appears to have done an outstanding job on your rifle, and I understand the Hawken Shop kits make the most authentic S. Hawken replicas you can get, inside and out.

Also, considering this thread was just started in early May, the job was completed and you got your rifle in less than four months! Incredible! Most professional builders have backlogs of several years.

Enjoy your new rifle! You got a keeper there, bud.

Notchy Bob

That is a handsome rifle. I checked the price of the kits. They aren't cheap.

Last edited:
For what it's worth.

I received my Hawken kit from The Hawken Shop in March of 2022. The components are high quality, no compromises and Greg is a wealth of information.

It takes a good deal of hand work to complete the project, sharp tools and patience. I am retired so time was not an issue; coffee in the morning and downstairs to work. I started the kit on March 8, and completed on April 18. This was my second muzzleloading rifle project, the first a JP Beck with my friend Lew Robinson. I have a great deal of woodworking experience using mostly hand tools, a plus. The most important tool for this project was a Pattern Makers Vise.

If you have the tools, the ability to keep them sharp and a good deal of patience this is a doable project. IF not, any of the Kibler offerings is the best choice.

Again, in my opinion.

Frosty

Attachments

• Hawken.jpg
    Hawken.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 0
For what it's worth.

I received my Hawken kit from The Hawken Shop in March of 2022. The components are high quality, no compromises and Greg is a wealth of information.

It takes a good deal of hand work to complete the project, sharp tools and patience. I am retired so time was not an issue; coffee in the morning and downstairs to work. I started the kit on March 8, and completed on April 18. This was my second muzzleloading rifle project, the first a JP Beck with my friend Lew Robinson. I have a great deal of woodworking experience using mostly hand tools, a plus. The most important tool for this project was a Pattern Makers Vise.

If you have the tools, the ability to keep them sharp and a good deal of patience this is a doable project. IF not, any of the Kibler offerings is the best choice.

Again, in my opinion.

Frosty
Is that the standard grade wood ? I would like some very highly figured wood.. I have built ( assembled, similar to this) three so far, I have a very good knowledge of how every thing is supposed to go together. Have you assembled a Jim chambers rifle ? Looking at those also.

Last edited:
Back