• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Rifles Part II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now thats a pair of outlaws if I ever saw any .(and I ses a old one anytime I go by a mirror that doesnt break ! Really we cant say enough nice things about John , his head is going to get so big... but when your that good.... and Davy it seems is following in his footsteps, cant think of a better man to ? cant come up with a word ,all of you are just grand, so take that thar! :rotf: FRED :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Has anyone done a really good full stock T/C with a bigger barrel,correct parts ect? Saw one in a 70s MB that looks really right, someone went to a lot of work, not even sure if any T/C parts but triggers got put on. :rotf: :youcrazy: Fred :hatsoff:

Fred, Do ya mean you ordered those two back issues of MuzzleBlasts from the NMLRA? Kewl!! If they don't have them, let me know. Why anyone would change a flintlock Hawken into a percussion (or percuss any old flinter) is beyond my comprehension. But, that was the order of the day. What's worse is the percussin was a hack job by a shade tree gunsmith. Still, it is what it is, a fine looking Hawken that has survived the years so we can see it. If ya build it, I would go with the late English water proof pan lock by L&R (Loose & Rickety) until someone comes along with a better late English lock. It's the only lock on the market as of right now that even comes close to a late Ashmore. I just wish they would take the pains to make it tight like Mike Rowe does his locks. Maybe if we bug him enough, Mike will make a late Ashmore lock someday. :grin:
Don

Ya the lock lock,breech looks like I did it! Clear this up for me please... the rifle was built in 1850s then changed later or its a early rifle changed in 1850s . The mags I added on to some comeing 1.50 each,no big deal.Fred :hatsoff:

Had to help kid get to school couldnt get it all down last post. Ive seen a 1/2 scale drawing of it and it is one of the best "flowing line" Hawken or any other rifle of that time, everything is in balance,lenght to width ect. Thats why Ive asked about the T/C-pectonica -green mt barrel- a cheaper test run of the real thing zero the wrist,breech,lock mess up. fred :hatsoff:

Fred, the Smithsonian Hawken was built as flint in the 1854-5 period and then changed to percussion sometime after that by a later owner. The breech is altered to percussion and the lock has been changed over as well.
That project of making a fullstock from your TC would be good experience before starting a cratch built Hawken. Hawkens only go together one way and misfitting parts will throw the whole rifle off architecturally. Probably one of the hardest rifles to build.
Best wishes,
Don

Greetings Fred. I am also thinking of doing the same, but with a half-stock. Some others (navaho, hud, and buffalo) have been down a similar trail.

Looking at the 3 pics I have it looks like Id need a T/C flintlock to start, the and the snail ect is to high up. Is that about right/ Just for that part to start(Dont want to piss anyone off I never had a T/C)Looks like Id have to drop the snail its to high on the T/C barrel, how big was the org barrel(Smith one) thanks much for help. :grin: fred :hatsoff:

Yes Ive watched other sites on this , seems like the way to go before trying the real thing on. Im haveing a time finding out how they did things like drill and tap tang to trigger holes back then, it must be hard to inlet the tang and line up the holes on scratch builds I wonder how they went about it back then? What sites do they have on the T/C Hawk build? :hatsoff:

FW, I haven't seen any "how-to" sites on doing this re-stocking of the T/C. Navaho has been asking questions over in the Builder's Bench section and Buffalo has posted a picture of his finished product there as well.

I was originally thinking I would want a TOW/Pectonica River stock since it has a more traditional 3" drop, that most seem to prefer. However, I am quite comfortable shooting the T/C stock which has about a 2" drop. I may get the Tiger Hunt stock instead.

I am trying to pick-up a Renegade stock to get the "iron" hardware to replace the brass. If that doesn't work out, I think I will get the conversion kit from The Hawken Shop. That will provide additional experience in fitting and finishing the cast steel part to the new stock.

Let's do this and try to document the process. Maybe we should go over to Builder's Bench to discuss this and not get this thread too much further off-topic. :rotf:

good idea, Ive seen those sites, Im just worried about to much being right for just a try out I guess. Didnt think from pics that drop was that much ,a 1 1/2 I thought Ill ck again. Still NOT getting pictures here!!!!!!!!! FRED :hatsoff:

fw said:
good idea, Ive seen those sites, Im just worried about to much being right for just a try out I guess. Didnt think from pics that drop was that much ,a 1 1/2 I thought Ill ck again. Still NOT getting pictures here!!!!!!!!! FRED :hatsoff:

The stock heel drop on my TC Renegade was originally about 1 7/8 inches as I recall ... :hmm:

Davy

I went back to that site (the burned stock one?)and ckd it out again on build T/C stock change. Jeff still havent got your pics???? As always Davy be right. And the rifle I bought?? still hasnt got sent, I'll try him again today. Fred :hatsoff:

Fred didnt put these up so dont :cursing: me out,great pics jeff, was of a larger size pic than I use.just go >.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>that >>>>>>>>way :rotf: :rotf: fred :hatsoff: >>>>>>>>>>> DAVY CAN YOU FIX THIS ONE?

The guy said he had a problem with my pc and the size of the Kodac pics but willtry and redo it right after work. All that aside it is some great wood on these, and the silver rings really stand out . FRED :hatsoff:

014_12.jpg

021_19.jpg

016_14.jpg

015_13.jpg

009_7.jpg

Hows that?

Davy

Thank you :bow: x 1000 ! the sooner we get off this page...Fred :hatsoff: :rotf: Hope this helps Jeff.

An original Hawken for sale on the Gun Broker Auction site ... nice pictures of it! Thought some would like to see it! :thumbsup:
[url] http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=45662933[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
Flyboy hope these came out ok had hell with getting them to load, Kodac, super zilllion mega something and got you mixed up with someone eles, I nee more :snore: and get myself well, again thanks davy and webmaster. FRED :hatsoff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back