• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Rifles Part II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Don gives the stock reply, all you said is right like I was trying to put down..Anyone got a copy of the old Barid Hawken blueprints? I look at 6 from the same 5 to 6 years and the locks and wood around them are all done different ,but look the same. :hmm: that famous Hawken line. FRED :hatsoff:

Check out this site, listing a rare Hawken for auction Link to Hawken Hope these help. I noticed that the barrel and lock on this one was never browned but left in the white. That would sure look good on yours with a darker A/F stain on that pretty maple. There's also a guy selling a set of prints on ebay every once in a while, I'll see if I can dig that up. Bill

Thanks for the link to that Hawken, Bill. How long is that barrel on YOUR Hawken? It looks like it might be 48" long in that photo. :) Funny what cameras will do. Nice work.
Don

I wish either one was mine. No, I just posted them to help out Fred. I'm really more interested in all the trade rifles, other than the Hawken. Mainly the steel mounted J.J. Henry's in Flint. More or less the end of the Flint era. Deringer's, Dimick's, Leman"s and the other western trade guns in the transition between flint, and cussin. Bill

Many thanks Bill ,I was PM ing Cooner Id never really looked at all the little things that make the Hawken what it is , so many little twist and turns and no two alike. I guess I could of, should of just stained it and gone on, just couldnt do it! :cursing: so for better or worse I'm into it now. The good part when I'm done the worse anyone could say is "havent seen one like that" that means YET! A old collector / dealer around here has two orgs Hawken he got back in 47 and 49 (cheap isnt the word for it) no ones ever taken pics of these + he wont let me , but twice hes let me look them over real good, hes not a "put white gloves on to hold them guy, so he doesnt mind me doing some drawings ect. What strikes me again is they cant have been made 5 yrs apart but look so diffrent! FRED :hatsoff: ..2:45 am

Reminds me of the Guns of Navarone ... where Peck says "Well ... your in it now .. up to your necks ... so get on with it afore I hafta use this thing!" :shocked2: :rotf:

Davy

:rotf: aaaaaaaaRights ya arrrrr :rotf: Up to my nose in it, dont make a wave (some old joke most of us have heard at sometime... FRED :hatsoff: anyonehear anything from flyboy????

Bill of 45th the cat auction pics big help add another thats not the same as any Ive seen yet, Yipes dont know if thats a :grin: thing or :( makes me want to :cursing: think I'll just go back and :snore: somemore, thank you everyone FRED :hatsoff: They did belive in small front sights!

This is just my opinion Fred. I'd keep that rifle. You can stain that stock anyway you wish, but it looks like a keeper. Of course being a 53, you're going to have mold your own balls.

That rifle is a beauty! The cheekpiece seems more consistant with a fullstock rather than with a halfstock though. Can you give us some more specs on that rifle? It really is a pretty thing! :)

Originally it was a fullstock 'til it got busted knocking a varmint in the head with it. Then he rode like lightening to Denver and ol'Sam put a nosecap on it for 'em. :grin:

I don't have any info on that, just the pic's. I think that one would be a copy of an earlier gun both in the checkpiece, and the fact it is a smaller lock. The original I posted the link to has no cheekpiece, a larger lock, and I would venture a guess it was late 1850's, it being stamped S. Hawken. As I mentioned earlier, and Fred has atested to it seems each gun is an evolution of the previous one, based on Sam's and the customers whimsey. As I said they're siblings, not twins, or triplets. They almost all seem to be contract orders of one gun. They bought all of their locks, and in the later years, were buying premade barrels to fill their orders. Bill

welcome back flyboy ! been missing ya. Its a keeper :cursing: would of been so easy to sell back to TOTW, then I got this wild hair (and we all know how painfull that can be) :youcrazy: Ya I could of made another Santa Fe, Ithaca, Carson or bridger out of it...but no , after I got started I got to rounding pics and plans up, as of now in a 10 yr span I have 8 rifles to copy from and none are the same! :cursing: Someone on a post ask "what makes a Hawken" its harder than I thought at the time. Everyone on Hawk 2 and the first one put in so much info I thought this would be easy at least to plan. Im sure of one thing if you all like how it turns out or not,no one can say they didnt make one like that,ya meanthey havent found it yet. Even the same locks can have the tab in front of nipple trimmed to how high and long,cant even find 2 the same, but with you back thats one more person I can pester with Qs. Don got those back MLs that April 81 should of been " Star Wars Hawken Found" now that is one FINE rifle. That single set trigger is some kind of work! :yakyak: Anyone with plans to send please do, Im really flying blind when Im noy driveing Cooner nuts with " hows this go,work look," pick one or all. Havent a idea yet what Im makeing , just takeing off wood, like Bill and Cooner and think even flyboy aqnd others have said (not in this way) you can tell it's a Hawken at first sight ut you dont know what gave it away, all so different to be the same! Good night guys Ive had A day FRED :hatsoff: :snore:

Thanks Fred, it's good to be back! :) Please keep us posted on your prgress with your new Hawken. I wish you the best with it! :thumbsup:

Jeff

flyboy said:
Post your pics, add your input on the Hawken Rifle. Try and keep on track. Mr Mathis seems to think we got off track on the last thread. Want to see some nice pics and hear some good historical info on Hawkens.

One of the problems with the "Hawken" threads is, they grow excessively long. When a thread reaches 200-300 posts, it's time to close it and open another one, if the subject warrants it.

It started as "post your photos", but it's turned into everything Hawken. What you are inadvertently trying to do is create a Hawken "sub-forum", by constantly adding to the same thread. Excessively long threads are not efficient for the database or the users.

Perhaps a sub-forum is warranted, but this is not the way to achieve it. These threads will continue to be locked, if and when they grow too large.

Thanks for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back