• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken Rifles Part II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya get your butt back in bed and take the Hawken kit with ya along with a knife or two and take it easy and get well. Whittle a little here and there and when your ready to finish the gun it'll be ready too. Watch yer self Fred. :thumbsup:
Don

Me thinks they be pulling your leg , Mississsippi rifle brass up front and barrel bands??? Fred :hatsoff: Sent the kid for a camara, this wood has so much stripeing in the wood hope it comes out.

Davy this one I got looks the same as ohns "every day" rifle except for the wood mine is (white right now) but is covered in stripes font to back. Any one know how to bring these out with out messing up the stock? Davy you know this kind of stuff , any way to enhance thode in the pics? FRED :hatsoff:

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
You want Hawken Pics, couldn't post it, but here's the link Hawken pic
Enjoy Bill

Heres the pic you referenced. Yep, it sure does look like a Hawken. :rotf: :rotf:

hawkin.jpg

fw said:
Davy this one I got looks the same as ohns "every day" rifle except for the wood mine is (white right now) but is covered in stripes font to back. Any one know how to bring these out with out messing up the stock? Davy you know this kind of stuff , any way to enhance thode in the pics? FRED :hatsoff:

You can use a photo editor program like Picasa to spruce up your pictures, that mite do it, in the photos anyway ....

Davy

Dont even know how you could resd that with the kid going ,"get off , get off, I got to call this girl" :shake: Fred :hatsoff:

You should be able to make the strips show for a pic now by wetting it with tap water, and shoot at a slight angle. Most it would do is raise the grain, which you want to feather out anyway before finishing. That link I posted was just for fun, I couldn't believe it was even posted like that, obviously that Brit needs to do a little more research. Maybe we should sic Robin on him to straighten him out :haha: Bill

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
You should be able to make the strips show for a pic now by wetting it with tap water, and shoot at a slight angle. Most it would do is raise the grain, which you want to feather out anyway before finishing. That link I posted was just for fun, I couldn't believe it was even posted like that, obviously that Brit needs to do a little more research. Maybe we should sic Robin on him to straighten him out :haha: Bill

Alcohol or mineral spirits would do the same !

Davy

Very nice fred .. its gonna be a keeper! :thumbsup:

Davy

Very nice Fred. It looks wonderful. Does it come that complete? It looks like all you need to do is the metal finish and stock finish? :applause:

Sorry I was'nt here when pics got posted (back in the E.R.) this is the 1985 TOTW Santa Fe Hawken,a Uberti 53 cal with a much upgraded stock,ready to shoot, but it has 1/16 to 1,8" extra wood to take off, blue or browning. Only took 30 days to get the guy to send it, only 3 days after I got to talk to his wife-and it got shipped? Anyway I tryed to get the wood to stand out but it just doesnt show all the lines + different shades of each line, now do I send it back to TOW for xale or build it? I really want a fullstock the one out of the "Smith" in D.C. would be nice wonder if they would trade? :rotf: Any build ideas put them up or PM me (so we can keep this short + not get closed so fast) Fred :hatsoff:

Anyone know of a good site that has close up pics of org Hawkens wrist, lock plate area, ect before I start takeing off wood? Fred :hatsoff:

Fred, will these help, not an original, but good copy, and I'm thinking your wood will look like this when yer done.
f84ec66141e057b9ddab94ad999ba568.jpg

cd9be4a3671969ab81d6f3f50fd4dad2.jpg

9a4152ef31455c984c83937278de00d9.jpg

1e6fab0b3948eca62f6793d8cd4d6d46.jpg

Google search didn't show much, saw one for sale on one of the auctions. I'll try and refind it. Bill

Great rifle! Real good pics, Im haveing a heck of a time finding info on wrist roll, or the lock taper, none of the places that youd think could help cant,except" look at the pics in " this book or that. Ive blown up to full size about a dozen org Hawks from top , underside, and back,..none are the same except to have a over all style. :shake: Its almost what day was the stock made and how did the guy makeing it feel that day? Well back to work! Anyone thats missed it ck out Cooner 54s paintings on photos site , Great stuff! :applause: Fred :hatsoff:

Fred, yer right, They're all Sam and Jakes children, but almost no twins, or triplets. It starts to become apparent that the "Mountian Rifle" was an evolving project, and they were pretty much custom order guns. So they got features, as perscribed by the customer. That also becomes obvious when they cost from three to four times more than the common rifle of that time, which was about $10 to $12. You might give Don Stith a call, he might be able to help you out. Ya gotta remember, Ole Sam, and Jake didn't have a stock duplicator Bill :rotf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back