• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Rifles Part II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Post your pics, add your input on the Hawken Rifle. Try and keep on track. Mr Mathis seems to think we got off track on the last thread. Want to see some nice pics and hear some good historical info on Hawkens.

I 2nd that . We need more pics! And I just got word my new one will be on the way in a day or so.flyboy, did we say we needed our own spot? Fred :hatsoff:

Greetings Fred,

Since the Hawken picture thread got closed (guess there was not enough interest in Hawken rifles) i will start over here for you.

Davy is going to post some photos of my favorite caplock rifle, and I certainly thank him for that effort.

No.... it is not a Hawken, but it is a moderately decent half-stock rifle inspired by the Hawken. Over the years, it took numerous deer (all bucks) and won many a match.

Now you have to keep in mind that it is a "work in progress" since 1971. OK, OK, OK, I know I am slow and easily distracted by other projects, and do not forget I was a bachelor for 15 years between 1st and 2nd marriage.

I have no doubt all of the members will find all of the unfinished details, but that is alright. There is already more hours in this project than I care to remember; like 34 hours in machining and fitting a stainless steel long tang breech plug to the unthreaded barrel.

Anyway Fred, the pics are for you, and there is more of some of my other rifles also.

For now, got to run. Will give some details on the building of this rifle later.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, Why not? I am carrying your load.

flyboy said:
Mr Mathis seems to think we got off track on the last thread.

Yes. The thread stayed on track for the first few pages (of seven) but then strayed into general Hawken discussions and choices of powder. A Moderator even suggested, "What does FFFg and FFg have to do with Posting Your Hawken Here? Maybe we ought to get back to the original post?"

In general, 300 posts is too much for a single thread. It's more than a new reader will wade through and it's almost impossible to keep on topic.

The only way to keep something like this on track is to limit the posts to "photos only", which doesn't seem very friendly as everyone wants to discuss the photos they post, but that's how things get off topic.

Let's see how it goes this time. :)

Hows that go ..." leave something for the mornning and the Lord wont take you tonight" At least my Cherokee Grandmother told me that till she was 80 something. Cant wait for the pics John/Davy! Fred :hatsoff:

I guess I'm getting off thread here so feel free to delete it. I'm a mod on another forum and I see threads get off track all the time. What difference does it really make? A noob to the forum isn't likely to go through 300 posts even if they stay on track. Threads wander. It leads to some interesting discussions tho. Does it not?They always end back up on the original subject. Letting them take their course beats having several different threads on the same topic. That's what's confusing to noobs. IMHO.

stl4.jpg

stl3.jpg

sl2.jpg

steel1.jpg

Here ya go Fred ... just for you (and others) to take a gander at one of John's nice rifles! :thumbsup:

Davy

Halftail said:
John,
Nice Rifle!Beautiful wood!Tell us some details.

Halftail .. John is currently in Brady, Texas for the Texas Muzzleloading State shootoffs ... he will not be back for a day or so ...

I have handled the rifle in question, I believe it to be a 50 cal, and it looks better in person than the photos do justice. Notice the dual tone steel multi-layer underib. The wood was a custom piece of walnut that John got from a gentleman many years ago. Of course it is impossible not to notice the stainless steel breech etc. It is avery nice piece, and is Johns' fave muzzle loading hunting rifle.

Davy

Nice one Swamp .. I am partial to iron mounted guns myself! :thumbsup:

Davy

Here's my Santa Fe that is still going strong for almost twenty years. Ignore the Seneca on top.

sfhawken.jpg

Here is my Lyman and my Cabelas Hawkin.I would like to put some brass tacks in the Lyman,but need to do some research for a cool pattern.The Lyman was a kit.My flash isnt bright on my camera so I had to take pics outside
tannerandgun087.jpg
e.

Ya! John was passing on Brady this time cause of the weaher each year :rotf: Now to this "work of art" when they cut me open next week I wish it was on something this clean!Or instead of titanium that barrel looks really good :hmm: Mr H never half .... a thing and I think this will show his work,and this is his everyday walk around rifle the Santa Fe? Good shots Davy. Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
Ya! John was passing on Brady this time cause of the weaher each year :rotf: Now to this "work of art" when they cut me open next week I wish it was on something this clean!Or instead of titanium that barrel looks really good :hmm: Mr H never half .... a thing and I think this will show his work,and this is his everyday walk around rifle the Santa Fe? Good shots Davy. Fred :hatsoff:

Well according to John ... he is not shooting this weekend at Brady ... just visiting .. not even taking a gun, just went to check things out! You can bet he WILL be gunning in June out there for sure.

I have some other photos of some of his poorly made guns :shocked2: that I will post as soon as he gets back.

Davy
:rotf:

That is the purtiest "work in progress" that I ever seen! :bow:

Would ya'll mind if I posted pics of my hawkin kit I did? its inacurate, as far as historical goes...

I figured I'd ask, basicly if something not so PC or something quite different to an original would be welcome in this thread.

Gary

I posted mine and theyre not PC and no one dissaproved.Now the hair might be a different story :rotf:

CROWHOP said:
I posted mine and theyre not PC and no one dissaproved.Now the hair might be a different story :rotf:

Your hair ain't that much longer than mine. Sides if all these wannabe mountain men wanna be really pc they'll have long hair too.

rebel727 said:
CROWHOP said:

Your hair ain't that much longer than mine. Sides if all these wannabe mountain men wanna be really pc they'll have long hair too.
Amen to that :rotf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back