• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harmonica Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRW

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of a copy of a Browning Harmonica Rifle that a guy had on display at Heritage Days in Warsaw Mo this past weekend thought maybe some of you may be interested. The lever on the side operates a cam that pushes the block forward and forces the tapered seats into the back of the barrel this also does the indexing of the block

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

Notice there was no forestock on that gun. You couldn't hold your hand out in front of the action, the blowby would toast your hand. After the first shot you would have a serious case of flinch.

Those are neat guns to look at, but I can't imagine there being much market for them.

Many Klatch

Hey Klatch,
If the cam lock seal was good, there should be no blow by.
And holding would be like any other underhammer.
Revolving rifles have a built in gap between cylinder and barrel, this type of rifle would not need that type of system, with the cam lock.
If I could get some decent pictures, or dimensions, I would love to give it a try, on the milling machine.
Old Ford

According to the BUILDER of this gun that is what the tapered seal on the front of the chamber does it is called "seal the block into the back of the barrel". With the cam pushing it forward and sealing on a taper it works like tapered brass fittings in plumbing do and no it doesn't have a forend because it is a copy of a original that didn't have one. Many underhammers had naked forends

Hello MRW,
Any idea what caliber this rifle is?
The chamber and flange seems small.
Did you get a name on the owner?
It seem to be very simple in design.
I would love to see more of the gun.
Thank you for the pictures.
Old Ford

Many Klatch said:
Those are neat guns to look at, but I can't imagine there being much market for them.
Many Klatch

There wasn't, which is the reason there are so few around today. Like Colt's revolving rifles. And there were so few people willing to enjoy the thrill of a chain-fire in those days...

The barrel is a old .50 cal Dixie Gunworks barrel the gentleman who built it lives in Missouri and is usually at their Heritage Days Celebration every year. As far as making his harmonica gun seal I think who knows what the hell he is doing since he also scratch built this to show off as well!!!! So I don't think I want to tell him there may be a flaw in his gun building ability BTW this is a model of a 1862 percussion Gatling using the steel cases and the .58 minnie. And yes those are full size field cannons in the background and they did shoot them!
DSC00586.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

I looked back in my pics are all I have of the rifle
DSC00595.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

and also this is a pic of what the Gatling shoots those cases are 1" diam and 2 1/4" long with a .58 hole
DSC00591.jpg

What is really neat about this harmonica rifle, you can have a two shooter....five shooter, whatever, especially with one of those fancy milling machines.
Thank you very much for the photos.
Chain fires on the revolving rifles were mostly due to poor fitting caps, very seldom through the greased end of the cylinder, and a tight fitting ball.
Old Ford

I saw an original Browning Harmonica rifle. This rifle belonged to the Browning family in Utah. The original looked like a Hawkens with a typical side lock and forearm. The gun as I recall was a .52 Cal.
The Browning family made guns for the Morman Militia
in the early days. In looking at the Harmonica rifle it may have been intended for firing from a fort or wall. I can't imagine using it as a hunting rifle. :shake:

Back