• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer/nipple alignment.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a used TC Hawken with a new Green Mountain drop-in barrell. The flash hole that the nipple screws into, appears to have been drilled and tapped off center, so the hammer cup doesn't go over the nipple. I'm a novice, what are my options to remedy this?
20231205_154846.jpg

20231205_155016.jpg

If you have a torch, you can remove, heat and bend the hammer. Reinstall or repeat as required to get the proper fit.

I would put the base of the hammer in a vise, heat and use something like a screw driver to twist the hammer slowly as not to overdo or break it. You would have more control over the bend rather than smacking it with a hammer.

If you have a torch, you can remove, heat and bend the hammer. Reinstall or repeat as required to get the proper fit.

I would put the base of the hammer in a vise, heat and use something like a screw driver to twist the hammer slowly as not to overdo or break it. You would have more control over the bend rather than smacking it with a hammer.
This.
Had to do this to a Traditions Deerhunter, though not as bad as yours. Go a little at a time as it's easy to go to far and have to go back the other way. Good luck.

I'm a rookie at best, and the picture is out of focus, so it could be an illusion, but it looks like the barrel is not clocked correctly and it looks like if that offset were corrected, the nipple might actually be in alignment. I hope to learn something here. :)

It does look somewhat off, that would certainly be a place to start. Good catch.

Ok, not quite as straight as I has hoped, but looks like it will work now. Spayed it with Barricade gun oil while still hot to try and preserve the color.
20231206_135717.jpg

20231206_135745.jpg

20231206_135813.jpg

20231206_135827.jpg

Attachments

• 20231206_135647.jpg
    20231206_135647.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231206_135717.jpg
    20231206_135717.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
I'm a rookie at best, and the picture is out of focus, so it could be an illusion, but it looks like the barrel is not clocked correctly and it looks like if that offset were corrected, the nipple might actually be in alignment. I hope to learn something here. :)
Took it out of the stock, everything measures 15/16" fits channel nice and snug, clicks into place even without barrel wedge which slips in with just stiff thumb pressure.
20231206_165103.jpg
20231206_165041.jpg

20231206_165027.jpg

20231206_165007.jpg

Sometimes a picture can be very deceiving in giving the proper alignment problem. And create its own set of problems. These pictures are a perfect example of what is not seen verses holding parts in your hand. A quick response of bend the hammer may have not been the proper solution and now makes the problem even more difficult to see and understand. Like already said, it is not correct as is. Going forward the correct steps very are important, if it is to be corrected. If you know of someone with good skills to investigate and look in person that may help. Good luck.

That twist of the hammer will soon destroy the nipple. It is contacting one edge of the cone and will beat that spot flat expanding the tip till a cap cannot be placed on it.
Ok, heated it back up and really cranked on it some more, scratched it up quite a bit, but think it's at a better angle now.
20231208_140826.jpg

20231208_140738.jpg

20231208_140811.jpg

Last edited:
Why did the OP not start here, as was suggested in post #4?

Attachments

• 5D8DDD32-CD7E-46A3-9273-8BF38127FA9E.jpeg
    5D8DDD32-CD7E-46A3-9273-8BF38127FA9E.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
That's more like it...looks like that hammer is landing squarely the way it should be. And the cup appears centered on the nipple more-or-less.

Snap a few caps now with the gun unloaded and make sure they are actually firing on the first hammer blow. It's no gaurantee. You'd be surprised.

Ok, heated it back up and really cranked on it some more, scratched it up quite a bit, but think it's at a better angle now.
View attachment 275149
View attachment 275150

View attachment 275151
Noticed in some of your photographs that the lock may not be tight against the barrel, at least at the top. Agree with others that the barrel does not seem square to the tang. Both these observations may only be because of the perspective from your photographs, I don’t know. You may also want to check that with what you have done with the hammer it isn’t hitting the stock. You don’t happen to have the barrel that the new GM barrel replaced? Might tell a story.

Latest posts

Back