• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H.E. Dimick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a terrific thread about Dimick rifles here on the forum a few months ago. Check it out here: Dimick Rifle

One of the forum members, @Sun City , has a gorgeous replica. Maybe he will post pictures again. Meanwhile, here is one that was built by John Bergmann. Sadly, for me, I don't own it:

Bergmann Dimick 1.1.jpg

Here are a couple of originals for comparison. This first one is an image lifted from Horace E. Dimick, Master St. Louis Gunsmith, from the American Society of Arms Collectors Bulletin, 87:16-17:

Horace Dimick Halfstock.png

This next one was from the Rock Island Auctions website. I don't think forum rules allow me to post a direct link, but I'm sure you can find it with a simple search:

Original Dimick 1.1.png

Original Dimick 1.2.png

It's good to see someone interested in Dimick rifles. I love Hawkens as much as anybody, but some of the other St. Louis rifles deserve attention as well. The Dimick rifles were a little late for the mountain men who have captured our imaginations, but I'm sure these rifles accounted for a lot of game in the hands of the plainsmen who came along just a little later. Good, solid rifles. I've always been intrigued by the fact that the originals were typically made without cheekpieces. We wonder how much difference that made in the way these rifles handled.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

How many rifles would they have sold if it was called the T/C Dimick?

Actually the T/C " Hawken" looks more like the small caliber 45 and 50 caliber rifles sold by the Hawken brothers for the local Missouri and Illinois hunters and target shooters. These often had brass hardware and one wedge. The trigger guard was similar to the Dimick and other local rifles.

That "hook and scroll" triggerguard was used by many gunmakers in the mid-19th century. There was a famous ad by Hawken & Campbell in the Missouri Republican in 1856 that offered "Mountain and California Rifles" for sale. Many folks have wondered exactly what those "California rifles" looked like. A few years ago, this S. Hawken rifle turned up on an auction site:

Hawken California Rifle 1.1.jpg

We wonder if this might be an example of the St. Louis-made "California rifles."

This next rifle was made by Wurfflein in Philadelphia for an Army officer headed to California:

John Wurflein - Philadelphia.jpg

This one was actually built in California by a maker named Bigelow:

Bigelow California Rifle.jpg

This next rifle was made by J.J. Freitas, of Springfield, Illinois, the only Portuguese-American riflemaker I know of from that period. I think it is in Curtis Johnson's collection. Mr. Johnson said it "came from an auction in California." He has generously posted a series of photos on Flickr, right HERE:

J.J. Freitas.png

Thompson/Center probably found plenty of original rifles that had triggerguards similar to these, but I'm sure few to none of them were actual Hawkens. However, there was a "Hawken Craze" in progress when T/C developed that rifle, and they probably wanted to capitalize on the name. Maybe they should have called it the "California Rifle." In any event, I think Dimick was probably following a trend rather than setting one when he selected that style of triggerguard.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Back