• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gunsmith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUNPOWDER45

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I purchased a flint rifle kit from Track of the Wolf and after viewing videos and reading manuals and messing up the tang, I realize that this is out of my league. Can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith to fit the metal parts to the stock?

thanks

Dont know if he builds any kits but give Joe Schell a call or PM him. He is longrifle78 on this forum

As you've found, there is a lot to putting one of the "kits" from places like Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica River, Chambers, etc. together.

I've built over 12 of these guns and can say that even the simple, bare bones versions can easily take over 100 hours to do it right.
(I spent over 180 hours on my first one and I've never spent less than 140 hours on one.)

I mention this because paying someone to build your rifle can easily cost over $800 and that's only if the builder is willing to work for less than McDonalds pays their burger flippers.

IMO, your other option is to ask for help from us here on the forum.

We can usually help people with almost any problem they have, possibly even being able to help you with your guns tang problem.

The important thing to remember is, building your gun is going to take some time and, ask your questions before you actually do something.

It's a lot easier to find out how to do something before doing it that it is asking about how to fix something that was messed up.

Hope to hear more from you about your tang problem. :)

Zonie is spot on with his reccomendations. Most if not all professional gunsmiths will not work on a build that was touched by anyone but them. You will have to "pull up your pants" and get yourself a good book on building thr rifle, read it a few times, check your tools, sharpen your chisles, cross your fingers and have at it. Ask your questions here before plowing ahead in doubt and most of all don't be in a hurry -- good luck :thumbsup:

You will not find any better place for help than this forum. All of us here have started building muzzleloaders at one point and time and have probably went thru the same problems you have. Don't feel like any stupid question is not worth asking. Even some of these experts make mistakes every now and then. You just have to be able to learn from those mistakes and TRY not to repeat them.

This is IMO the best forum I have ever taken part in. These people on here will make you feel welcome and encourage you to become a better builder/shooter.

Good luck and hope to hear on how/what your next step comes about.

Perhaps, you sell the kit to someone else, and just start over. Could be a small lose, but that's the price we often pay, for learning a lesson. I started with a Tip Curtis rifle, in the white. The reason, I started with his rifle, was that, most of the work is completed. In fact you could shoot the rifle, without doing anything. But, I polished the barrel, cold blued it, and sanded the stock, and stained and finished it. It turned out really nice, and I saved a lot of money. Even now I would not want to take on the kit, like you bought, but I would do another Tip Curtis.

I am building my first one too and messed up on the tang. Its very frustrating but I fixed it the best I could and at that point realized that it wont be perfect but the best I can do.

Ask some really accomplished builders, to show you there first build, and you might be surprised to see a piece of junk. I had two builders, show me there first gun, that they built. Yikes!!!

On the other hand some very talented people can nail it, on the first try.

Patients, and research, and a lot of luck.

People on this forum will help and even the best builder would be at a big disadvantage with out so many opinions/so much experience to draw on.

Really and honestly though the absolute first step is to put the kit in a closet and buy a copy of Gunsmith of Greenville County.

Spend a month reading/studying this book. I know you said you read manuals but I bet three chisels and a ram rod that what you really need is Gunsmith of Greenville County.

About week two of owning the book you will be absolutely overcome with the renewed desire to continue the build (and to start pondering the second)

The physical operations of the build are not the challenge it is knowing what to do when and knowing what the potential pitfalls are. The above book will dial you in.

Videos/tutorials/threads are great but you will not learn from them. You need the book.
Get the book.

Maybe I ought to get the book myself sometime. I hear everyone raving about this book. I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up and purchase it. Does anyone know where the best deal is to purchase this book?

Best money you will ever spend on ML building. Next time you order some parts from TOW ask them to send one.

+1 on the book. Peter Alexander goes into the details of how and why, not just what to do, although sometimes deciphering the Canadien can be a little bit of a challenge at times.

I find myself re-reading certain passages, even after doing this stuff for quite a few years.

Sell what you have or hang onto it and buy a Tip Curtis in the white which will "teach" you how a LR is put together. Then tackle your "kit".....you'll have an actual rifle for reference. This should instill some confidence. While finishing the Tip Curtis rifle, read and study a couple of the "how to" books mentioned in other posts.

Building these supplier "kits" requires skills, tools and motivation......Fred

I read books, watched builds on Youtube, and talked with builders. I finally took a class that helped you get a functioning gun in the white built. It was well worth it to have questions answered and get hints and tips.
Jacobsburg in eastern PA was where I took my class. Don't know if there is a class near you, but could be well worth it.

Hi,
Pay a visit to Mitch Yates in Hampton Bays, on Long Island. Mitch is a top quality builder and he is not far from you. Search Google for Mitch Yates to find his website.

dave

Back