• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making the most out of an old CVA kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shibbershabber

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I picked up this CVA SxS 12ga kit a couple of years ago, unopened.
Been messing with it for a while, the locks were a mess... the triggers wouldnt engage, etc.

I finally got it in a functioning state and am now finishing it.

Decided to cut it down to a bit under 14"... cut the ramrod to fit...

Getting the stock sorted out now, the wood is pretty bad and doesnt take the stain well.

Browning the metal parts next week

Ill post more pics as progress is made
0323232148a.jpg
0323232148.jpg0323232059b.jpg0323232059a.jpg0323232059.jpg

I picked up this CVA SxS 12ga kit a couple of years ago, unopened.
Been messing with it for a while, the locks were a mess... the triggers wouldnt engage, etc.

I finally got it in a functioning state and am now finishing it.

Decided to cut it down to a bit under 14"... cut the ramrod to fit...

Getting the stock sorted out now, the wood is pretty bad and doesnt take the stain well.

Browning the metal parts next week

Ill post more pics as progress is madeView attachment 209596View attachment 209595View attachment 209594View attachment 209593View attachment 209592
The short barrels would be great for hunting rabbit in thick brush

Go dark on barrel, lock, and stock.

Make it look rustic. Go all native on it. Beads. Nail heads. A scalp if you have one laying around. Paint on some Indian signs.

You'll need an alcohol stain to penetrate that beech/birch. Oil stain will rub off and look like mud. You've been warned.

A worn on the back leather holster would be cool too. I can almost see you chasing down and shooting buffalo from horseback.

Waste of a useful shotgun, unless you are robbing a quick-shop.
Probably not much of a waste. I have many other pieces I would consider useful.
I regard these CVA kits as borderline trash with crude, unreliable lockwork and other bottom of the barrel features.

The best outcome for these kits as a fun weekend project are range toys or wallhangers.
This can be a novelty and a conversation piece... but not a waste.

While cutting it down may offend the tender sensibilities of some... it'll be damn fun to shoot.

Probably not much of a waste. I have many other pieces I would consider useful.
I regard these CVA kits as borderline trash with crude, unreliable lockwork and other bottom of the barrel features.

The best outcome for these kits as a fun weekend project are range toys or wallhangers.
This can be a novelty and a conversation piece... but not a waste.

While cutting it down may offend the tender sensibilities of some... it'll be damn fun to shoot.
I have $3000 custom ML guns, Lymans, Pedersolis, Thompson Centers, Santa Fe Hawkens and others. I hunt, successfully, with CVAs. Never have had a problem with one. Polecat 🦨

I have $3000 custom ML guns, Lymans, Pedersolis, Thompson Centers, Santa Fe Hawkens and others. I hunt, successfully, with CVAs. Never have had a problem with one. Polecat 🦨
I was honestly impressed with this one. After much work on the lock, it actually was pretty decent.

Just havent always gotten the best quality out of these old kits.

Turned out great though, but dont regret the chop. Not like butchering a classic or something.

I was honestly impressed with this one. After much work on the lock, it actually was pretty decent.

Just havent always gotten the best quality out of these old kits.

Turned out great though, but dont regret the chop. Not like butchering a classic or something.
I know of some CSA Cavalry reenactors, and they used to be pretty keen on short shotguns....

LD

Back