• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun show cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The baby cannon?
To the left of the "repro?" is what looks like a Lyle line throwing cannon - used with an elongated projectile that is attached to a small diameter but sturdy rope & shot from shore to a shipwreck for the crew to pull over a heavy rope to be able to safely get ashore. Almost a mortar but more like a short howitzer. Light enough for two men to carry to the beach. Is a full photo available? I would be interested if it is in fact an original Lyle.

To the left of the "repro?" is what looks like a Lyle line throwing cannon - used with an elongated projectile that is attached to a small diameter but sturdy rope & shot from shore to a shipwreck for the crew to pull over a heavy rope to be able to safely get ashore. Almost a mortar but more like a short howitzer. Light enough for two men to carry to the beach. Is a full photo available? I would be interested if it is in fact an original Lyle.
Sorry that was full view. Took pic of the bigger one.

Saw this at a local show. Don’t know much on cannons and even less on pricing.

Said to have been found in Lake Erie. Not sure if on shore or while diving. Seller had it for someone else who’s father had passed.

Also said to have been refurbished in early 2000’s. Looked to have been bored and sleeved .
If i had the money is $2000 reasonable? Any suggestions on what it is from? Land or sea?View attachment 281137
Even with restoration, looks rather smooth for having been in water that long. I'd question the provenance; Wonder how it was found in the 1930's? Any photos taken at that time? Is kinda cool with the sleeve and all, but I'd want to know more about it . What Whitworth said is true.

Saw this at a local show. Don’t know much on cannons and even less on pricing.

Said to have been found in Lake Erie. Not sure if on shore or while diving. Seller had it for someone else who’s father had passed.

Also said to have been refurbished in early 2000’s. Looked to have been bored and sleeved .
If i had the money is $2000 reasonable? Any suggestions on what it is from? Land or sea?View attachment 281137

After you buy it come see me I have a bridge for sale.

After you buy it come see me I have a bridge for sale.
Assuming it’s a Dixie Gun barrel it is the 2/3 size it retailed for $2,100 when last in stock.
Juice, don’t know if you are being sarcastic or just giving me a warning. I saw the chunk of metal, big hole one end and touch hole in the other it existed.

Assuming it’s a Dixie Gun barrel it is the 2/3 size it retailed for $2,100 when last in stock.
Juice, don’t know if you are being sarcastic or just giving me a warning. I saw the chunk of metal, big hole one end and touch hole in the other it existed.

Also there was a big move in the Reenactment community both Rev War and ACW in the 1990's to have all of the artillery pieces sleeved, as some prior to then were not. Which would coincide with the gun having the bore sleeved when you were told the tube was refurbished.

LD

Seller didn’t offer any documentation, just verbal.
I agree the surface seemed rather clean. Only thing i thought was maybe turned on a lathe??? Some people not concerned with historical importance. Also didn’t show any embossing or raised symbols /artwork . Flat black paint can hide a lot.

Here are some links to the cannon lathe located at Auburn University. It came from the Selma, Alabama arsenal:

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMHKJK_Auburn_University_Lathe_Auburn_AL
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/monumental-lathes-in-public-places.399889/
https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=39815

Trunions look small for being an old one. Seems awful smooth for being found in a lake.
How big is bore?
I have no proof, but was once told that the 1812 cannons that went down in Erie have rolled around on the bottom of the Lake to where the trunnions have been rolled off?

Why do you want a cannon? I wanted one so that I could send projectiles down range. And by God it does! Not that I don't admire/clean/fondle it because I do. But the real thrill, and raison d'etre is sending ordinance down range.

Look closely at the trunnions. Any evidence of welding means it's modern. If the trunnions are a bit below center of the bore, it might be a Verbruggen replica. I would want to sound the bore to the flash hole, see what the condition of the bore is, if there is a liner, etc. I would be suspect of a lake story without documentation, recovery photos, etc. If it's in good shape, even current manufacture, it very well may be worth asking price.

Also said to have been refurbished in early 2000’s. Looked to have been bored and sleeved
Not likely. Could be a South Bend Replicas Verbruggen 3 pounder.

https://southbendreplicas.com/reproductions/verbruggen-barrels/

Last edited:
I don't trust anything written or said by dealers at gun shows. Too many times, I've seen incorrect information on tags, and have heard vendors tell outright lies just to make a sale. Cannon found in a lake, yeah right, and I've got a large bridge for sale cheap right now on marketplace.

I don't trust anything written or said by dealers at gun shows. Too many times, I've seen incorrect information on tags, and have heard vendors tell outright lies just to make a sale. Cannon found in a lake, yeah right, and I've got a large bridge for sale cheap right now on marketplace.
Either way, cars or guns, you are shopping used merchandise. Caveat emptor.

On the other hand, there is a lot more to go wrong on a 2005 Chevy than there is on a cast iron cannon barrel.

Latest posts

Back