• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a little banter on a maybe purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a 1990's Lyman GPR described as 99% and with a shiny bore. And I *know* the seller via another forum so I'm sure he's on the up and up.
The price is today's pricing. Actually, he said it was lower than he paid last year at a ML shop for it.

He knew I had been looking for one, but in the meantime TOTW had those $500 trade guns and I'm pretty happy with that purchase.

I've used the search feature and it seems these are a good purchase. Closer to a Hawken than a TC Hawken, which I have but am having trouble tightening my group. Probably a sight thing, as I put a buckhorn on it.
So I'm thinking of moving into the GPR and selling the Hawken locally.

Of course the percussion won't work for late ML season here in PA, but I have other rifles for that.

For someone like myself, who is not opposed to a commercially produced ML, is the GPR a "must have"? Maybe simply because it has a roundball twist? And isn't made anymore?

I just happen to have a fixed Lyman sight around here somewhere.
I bought it years ago in anticipation of owning a GPR some day and wanting to change out the adjustable one.
But then they stopped making them...

I have two in .54 caliber, both purchased used, one was a kit, the other factory. I am disappointed in both. The kit rifle came with only a partial crown on the muzzle and half untouched. Somehow I missed this when I bought it. 12-18" 'groups' at 50 yards. A buddy with a lathe recrowned it, but the best I can get out of it is 4-6". It looks good though, and more bench effort on my part might tighten the group. The factory rifle groups 3-4" at 50y benched. I consider that barely acceptable for deer hunting if I did not have something more accurate to use.

Been shooting muzzleloaders since 1977, and these two have stubbornly resisted giving me tight groups. Going to get me some JoAnn's #40 cotton drill patching material (subject of a current thread), then spend a day at the range (again) trying to work up an accurate load for both of these tomato stakes. ;)

I have had 4 different GPR's over the year 2 cap locks and 2 rock locks, all 4 have been tack drivers, still have the first capper I bought 30 years ago, shoot it occasionally and tote it around to the range or the rondys for a backup or a loaner if somebody new shows up and would like to shoot the walk with me giving instruction along the way, they have shot better than any of the TC,s I've had in the past.

Beaver, can you assign some parameters to "tack drivers". Caliber, twist, projectile, range, min/max group size. Thanks, NE
I've had both 50 and 54's, all were factory 1 in 60 twist, from the bench out of 50 yds the original one I still have in 54 which has 2000 maybe rounds out of it will shoot a 2&1/2 " group easy! sometimes tighter than that and same ragged hole occasionally; at 100 yrds from the bench it has shot 3" groups in the past, when my 68 year old bifocal wearing eyes were MUCH better, now if I hit the 2 foot gongs we have I'm doing a jig, all have been patched round ball, never seen a need for them coned shaped things, have taken many, many, deer some out to 100 and closer and elk to 75 yrds all with PRB

Pacanis, I have a 1990 model Lyman GPR in .54 caliber. Always liked the looks and durability of them but never purchased one until Jan of this year. Reason for the purchase is because the GPR are known for their very good accuracy with RB. I was not disappointed with this purchase and found their good reputation to be correct.

Almost certain this was a kit rifle that had never been fired before, other than perhaps just to see if it would shoot. How I determined this was the front sight was too far off to the right for any kind of accurate shooting. Also, the rear sight was faulty and wouldn't stay put. It was also conveyed to me that it was most likely a wall hanger above a fireplace.

In terms of the set trigger, I do not know what the issues are that some people complain about but so far, mine works like it should. I can detect no problems with it.

My loads are as follows:

90 grain of 3F BP.

.018 Ticking from October Country.

TOTW Mink Oil.

.530 Swaged RB.

At the range I shot from 30 yards to sight in the new Lyman 57 peep sight I installed on it. Then I moved the target back to 75 yards not even stopping at 50 yards. I put three that were touching, or very close it, in the target from 75 yards. Only shot one group from 100 yards that wound up being about a 5 inch group. However, that was a bit far for my old, damaged eyes as well as the size of the aiming dot was too small from that distance. However, it did show me what I wanted to know.

Last week I downloaded it and resighted it in at 35 yards for possible squirrel hunting. I was surprise to find that it shoots very accurately with 30 grains of BP.

IMO, the .54 GPR is a superb ML. It not only looks very good, but it is very accurate and durable. It holds extremely steady on target offhand. Overall, I absolutely love this ML.

With that said, there are two things that I do not like about it. One being the metal butt plate is a bit sharp. I haven't had any problems with it, however.

The last one I just found out about last week. That would be it's pretty darn heavy for my liking, in terms of packing it through the mountains for a few hours each hunt. After getting used to squirrel hunting with my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle and then taking my GPR out on one hunt last week, I found it to to be a bit heavier than I like. But again, I purchased it for stand hunting big game.

I can assure you that the GPR is every bit as solid and high quality than any of the T/C's I've owned over the years and more accurate with RB to boot.

Its a shame Lyman never built a scaled down/lighter version in .32 or .36 caliber(s).

I highly recommend a GPR for a RB shooter.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:
Is there a way to tell if it's a kit gun? K in the serial# or something?

LOL @ tomato stakes :)
Not that I know of. To the best of my knowledge, Lyman never put a letter prefix in their serial numbers. I'm thinking perhaps T/C was the only one that did so.

Pacanis, I have a 1990 model Lyman GPR in .54 caliber. Always liked the looks and durability of them but never purchased one until Jan of this year. Reason for the purchase is because the GPR are known for their very good accuracy with RB. I was not disappointed with this purchase and found their good reputation to be correct.

Almost certain this was a kit rifle that had never been fired before, other than perhaps just to see if it would shoot. How I determined this was the front sight was too far off to the right for any kind of accurate shooting. Also, the rear sight was faulty and wouldn't stay put. It was also conveyed to me that it was most likely a wall hanger above a fireplace.

In terms of the set trigger, I do not know what the issues are that some people complain about but so far, mine works like it should. I can detect no problems with it.

My loads are as follows:

90 grain of 3F BP.

.018 Ticking from October Country.

TOTW Mink Oil.

.530 Swaged RB.

At the range I shot from 30 yards to sight in the new Lyman 57 peep sight I installed on it. Then I moved the target back to 75 yards not even stopping at 50 yards. I put three that were touching, or very close it, in the target from 75 yards. Only shot one group from 100 yards that wound up being about a 5 inch group. However, that was a bit far for my old, damaged eyes as well as the size of the aiming dot was too small from that distance. However, it did show me what I wanted to know.

Last week I downloaded it and resighted it in at 35 yards for possible squirrel hunting. I was surprise to find that it shoots very accurately with 30 grains of BP.

IMO, the .54 GPR is a superb ML. It not only looks very good, but it is very accurate and durable. It holds extremely steady on target offhand. Overall, I absolutely love this ML.

With that said, there are two things that I do not like about it. One being the metal butt plate is a bit sharp. I haven't had any problems with it, however.

The last one I just found out about last week. That would be it's pretty darn heavy for my liking, in terms of packing it through the mountains for a few hours each hunt. After getting used to squirrel hunting with my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle and then taking my GPR out on one hunt last week, I found it to to be a bit heavier than I like. But again, I purchased it for stand hunting big game.

I can assure you that the GPR is every bit as solid and high quality than any of the T/C's I've owned over the years and more accurate with RB to boot.

Its a shame Lyman never built a scaled down/lighter version in .32 or .36 caliber(s).

I highly recommend a GPR for a RB shooter.

Good luck on your decision.
That’s a good post, @ETipp . Good, solid information and load data, and subjective opinions are clearly stated.

Notchy Bob

Well heck.
I'm not sure if this is good luck or bad luck.

The seller had some seller's remorse and told me this morning he decided to keep it and try to shoot it some more and see if it grows on him. And I'll have dibs if and when he decides to let it go.

BUT... my big screen is acting up and it looks like I need a new TV.
Weird timing.

Love everything about mine except the butt plate, its sharp and I've always been an on the shoulder kind of guy. Mines a .54 flintlock and load is similar to etipp, 90gr 2F, .530 ball, .018 ticking with wonderlube. Has the buckhorn rear and will shoot 2" groups at 50 pretty consistently if I do my part.

Latest posts

Back