• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Broker ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since sidelocks are made by very few makers used one go up up up. i however got a cva hunter at a good price along with a single barrel new shotgun

I have bought, but mostly have sold on Gunbroker. It's easier than trying to update a my website, but not as easy a listing them on Facebook (without a $ price) and matching the album sold. I'm fine with an item sitting on GB for a few weeks/ months- it's easier than dragging them around to Civil War shows continuously. And some guys get to the shows with kids, wife, job, training, etc., so I can in - in theory- showcase an item to thousands of potential people instead of a few hundred- or dozen- that stop by my table, then expect a deal on a rare musket because no one has bought it yet at the show.

I take plenty of bright pictures of every angle/ inch of the musket, and I've always offered a money back/satisfaction guarantee. 210+ muskets later, I've never had one returned.

Are the Muzzleloading prices on Gun Broker really high ? Just seem's that way , not sure.
Yes they're high. And if you keep track & pay attention you'll see them get relisted and relisted and relisted and..........

As somebody above said, don't look at the ridiculous asking prices, look at the ones that actually sell.

I follow the auctions pretty close for certain types of muzzle loading guns and accessories. Prices are generally higher. Items that use to sell for $300-400.00 just 3-4 years ago are going for $500-600.00 today - and are selling. Noticing lots of custom long rifles and plains rifles from the 1970's and 80's for sale. Of course, our Government keeps de-valuing our money. So I guess we can expect even higher prices. Like many of us, I'm glad I purchased when I did in the past.

I used to list guns on GB for the store I managed. Consequently, I was constantly looking at similar guns to see what they sold for as a guide to listing. Listing on gun broker exposes your item to people in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and other places where income levels dwarf those in less populated areas, so you could find stuff, but it wasn't always a good deal compared to the "local" price.

Look at the pictures closely... if they do not have more than 20 pictures of the item, including the bore and the area of the breech, ask them for better pictures. Ask questions you have BEFORE you place a bid. Look at the seller's feedback. If he has sold ten thousand items and nobody has given him bad feedback, you probably have a pretty honest seller. If it is described glowingly, like "bore excellent", "a few pits, but very strong rifling", "ultra-rare collector piece", etc. get suspicious. Get real suspicious. Used muzzleloaders NEVER have excellent bores. Beware of NIB listings, they might or might not be NIB.

If the buyer does not allow a reasonable inspection period, then don''t buy it. If you can drive to the place it is for sale, that is not a bad idea. Hands-on inspection is much better than looking at possibly doctored photographs. If you can call the seller and speak to someone who actually has the gun in his hands, that is time well spent. It is much easier to lie in print than over the phone because you can add tone of voice and hesitation on certain questions to your information.

Guns are all heavily inflated now. If you just gotta have it, you just gotta pay the price. In principle, used guns are no different than used cars, used tools and used women; they are not always what they seem to be.

With any firearms now, you gotta pay to play

Yes, I'm kind of a "Fudd" now because I "remember buying cases of 8mm Turk foe $50 and a K98 for $150 and blasting away all day not a care in the world"

Now, I took my girlfriend's son shooting, with my AR. At the indoor range that requires you to buy their ammo, which is actually priced "normally" (the new normal) they don't gouge

Well, over $100 later I had enough 5.56 to fill maybe 6 or 7 mags and that was it........not even a good hour of shooting for 100 bucks......it is what it is. You want to shoot, you gotta pay. I'm honestly just lucky to be able to buy ammo and shoot.

I pay my guy 50 cents each for Minie balls and I'm glad to pay him, like was said, I just don't have time to cast anything and I'll pay him $200 at a time for 400 Minies and let him make a profit, because he's buying the lead, he's using his equipment , using his time, and saving my time . So I'm happy to support a one man business and he keeps me shooting my .58 rifles. I could save money by getting a lead furnace, and molds, etc etc but honestly I just don't want to. I'm a consumer and willing to pay for a service.

Back