• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD POINTS.

I have "a HALF-serious pet theory" that The British Empire became a place where "The sun never sets", as hungry folks kept looking for a place to find a GOOD-tasting meal.
(Traditional English food is "the pits", imVho and the "foods" of Damnyankeeland aren't much better.)

yours, satx

Actually you and Sean don't get out much I see... That's what the English would call "provincial" if they were being kind. A full English breakfast is:

Beans and stewed tomatoes, crisp sunny side up eggs, fried or hashbrowned potaotoes, sausages, "rashers" (which I can only describe as sort of Canadian Bacon strips), and grilled (probably brown) bread. Oh, and, no grits kids...

The backbone of the North of England is roast beef and Yorkshire Puddings; GUARANTEED they have ALL eaten that at "tea" late this afternoon. Both roughly, but the latter particularly being the semantic equivalent of your medallions and vaunted grits in every literally and figuratively tasteless way including the notion of drowning them in something else (not Velveeta usually, sorry, but gravy).

Fish tacos? Si!? I won't even talk about the amazing fresh fish and chips shops on every other corner (where there are corners) in every town the like of which you'd need to experience for yourself...

If I can be of any further down-home country goodness culinary edification (I need to point out I am NOT in New England), just "holla."

Red lobster ain't fish & chips & taco bell ain't Mexican ....I've seen what ya got on your street corners, and what ever that is standing out there in high heels & a five o'clock shadow :barf: :nono: :rotf:

Rubbish!

England is full of excellent traditional foods, including...
Roast beef and yorkshire pud
Fish, chips and mushy peas
fine fellows
Chicken tikka masala
Kebab meat and chips
Jam butties
Peanuts and a half of mild.

AGREED 100%.

Fyi, my ex-FIL used to call Taco Bell, "the North Wales choke and puke". = Kurt was "just a bit 'plain-spoken'."
(He/I had "our differences" BUT always I had to agree with that description. = CHUCKLE.)

Moreover, my beloved adopted daughter calls Red Lobster, "the place of bad smells".
yours, satx

LOL Sean has no CLUE what we're talking about -- not even the country...

Bet they'd both love a Chip butty, with mayonaise, though. They'd be confused by "Kebab":
here it is "gyro." But they only eat raw, simply cooked and unprepared, meat, potatoes, and grits anyway.

But one thing: men don't drink halfs!

Shot some sporting clays on an estate (I mean a real estate, not council housing) in Derby a coupla years ago...

Alden said:
But one thing: men don't drink halfs!
Oh please, I am so a manly man.
ssJ1JUl.jpg

England is after all famed through out the world for its good cooking, as is new England. Just look in any book store you will find book after book on down home tasteless er ah English cooking. Why who ever heard of southern, mexiican, French, chinise, cooking. They all pale next to the fame of kippers and eggs.
They do how ever make some of the best beers (something they learned from the Irish an.d Germans)

Besides a full English breakfast I LOVE warm smoked kippers and eggs. And real scones with jam and cream. Crumpets with clotted cream and maybe some marmalade. With nice coffee of course...

Now I know none of these are found at Waffle House, in a trailer in tornado alley, East L.A., Detroit, southside Chicago, Harlem, a pig pen or a chicken coop but that doesn't mean they aren't wonderful.

A big difference for me personally is I know about all these things, have had them all unlike others here, and still do! And grits doesn't fit much into the equation except as a novelty. Like Sesame Street said: "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong."

Sure, I suppose we could all bring ourselves down to the lowest common denominator of eating livestock feed. We could all pretend that is "special" and make ourselves feel better by letting our dysfunctional parent(s) off the hook psychologically even as so many southerners continue the pattern of child abuse. However we'd still have moved a little closer to animal than man by doing so.

Oh, and adding a processed cheese product that doesn't have an expiration date doesn't change a thing...

No thanks, but Happy Thanksgiving (where there will also be no grits whatever forms of corn the New England Pilgrims may have eaten)!

I just want to remind everyone that the second best President we ever had, Jimmy Carter, well, his Southern Belle daughter Amy was given a dog by her teacher. This mutt was so useless and disgusting they eventually returned it and it was only NAMED Grits!

There's a completely appropriate and descriptive word for anyone who believes that Jimmy Carter was anything but a through incompetent and utterly unfit to be POTUS: MORON.
(He should have stuck to growing peanuts & building houses.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
There's a completely appropriate and descriptive word for anyone who believes that Jimmy Carter was anything but a through incompetent and utterly unfit to be POTUS: MORON.
(He should have stuck to growing peanuts & building houses.)

yours, satx

Yep, I figured Alden was just trolling when he wrote that. :shake:

Well, the subject is grits and I might have been being a little sarcastic but I did say SECOND best President (mostly for the NSA's benefit)...

Ouch! Harsh.......but accurate. However, I really do believe that he was a good man, just a crappy president. I think recently he has fallen off the edge with some really odd ideas. No doubt that he would have been much better for mankind if he had stuck to raising peanuts and building houses. :2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back