• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grip Refinish (58 Remy)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I got me a 1858 Uberti .44 New Model Army and it’s been a good gun for sure. But, it come with them standard Uberti ruby red high gloss varnished grips that I just do not care for. Doesn’t look like anything that was on the originals.

Well guys I got some Citristrip and stripped the varnish off, then hit it with a little 400 grit just to smooth everything down. Revealed quite a nice grain pattern that was hidden by the varnish. After surface prep, I put on one coat of Fiebings leather dye to stain it back to a nice tawny brown color. Come out real purty. Then it was one coat of Tru-Oil for about 8 days. Now it’s curing yall, and I don’t think I’ll even do anything to the surface it looks smooth and even and not too shiny, I like it a whole lot:

EEEB08-E7-EDE3-4517-AC3-B-78210-BF16370.jpg

D4-CBDEBA-95-A9-443-F-925-F-1-BEC11183-F5-D.jpg

Lighting isn’t great in these pictures, the grain “pops” a lot more in person. Overall a big improvement and I had the supplies laying around so didn’t cost be a penny. I’m happy!

Thanks guys, don’t be afraid to refinish your weird Uberti varnished grips. Often it hides some nice grain!

-Smokey

Looks nice. An oil finsh always looks better than the varnish they put on at the factory and there is less chance of the grip slipping in your hand too. To anyone who tries it be very careful with the sandpaper, it's easy to remove too much wood and leave the front and back straps proud of the grip panels.

Guys I got me a 1858 Uberti .44 New Model Army and it’s been a good gun for sure. But, it come with them standard Uberti ruby red high gloss varnished grips that I just do not care for. Doesn’t look like anything that was on the originals.

Well guys I got some Citristrip and stripped the varnish off, then hit it with a little 400 grit just to smooth everything down. Revealed quite a nice grain pattern that was hidden by the varnish. After surface prep, I put on one coat of Fiebings leather dye to stain it back to a nice tawny brown color. Come out real purty. Then it was one coat of Tru-Oil for about 8 days. Now it’s curing yall, and I don’t think I’ll even do anything to the surface it looks smooth and even and not too shiny, I like it a whole lot:

Lighting isn’t great in these pictures, the grain “pops” a lot more in person. Overall a big improvement and I had the supplies laying around so didn’t cost be a penny. I’m happy!

Thanks guys, don’t be afraid to refinish your weird Uberti varnished grips. Often it hides some nice grain!

-Smokey
And even if the grain is rather dull and plain it’s much better than reddish paint...

And even if the grain is rather dull and plain it’s much better than reddish paint...

Yep my plan is to antique the gun (already did the cylinder) so no problem with the plain look of the Gris, they’ll fit right in. What comes on the Ubertis just looks wrong, red shellac that hides all grain. Great guns though I love mine.

I wish the Remington fit my hands, they’re nice to look at and generally great shooters. The 1860 grip fits me like it was made for me.

Vinegar? Or something else?

Actually I didn’t have any vinegar, so I used pickle juice. Came out real nice, looks brighter in person my ipad camera isn’t so good. I’ll just fill the pickle bottle back up with vinegar when I go to the store tonight.

Question. I want to do the exact refinish on my Uberti also. My question is in reference to the dye you used. I’m not familiar with Fieblings leather dye. Is it brown, or what color did you use and why not use a wood stain? They came out great and I want to get that look on mine,that’s why the question. Thanks Art

IMG_20190916_153159.jpg

-Smokey
did the same thing with some sample wood blocks from Lowe's last winter. SM
IMG_20190916_153159.jpg

Last edited:
Back