• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green chili stew

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butter and S&P is the only way to fly with grits. :thumbsup:

Wine with chili? :doh: Maybe I'll have to give it a try, but I'm not so sure. :idunno:

Some good ol' hearty chili with some deep, dark, cheap burgundy in a half-gallon jug of which my Grandad said "you can really taste the grapes"? Man oh Manischewitz!

As for grits, how embarrasing not to realize (even though mentioned already here) that the "folks" up North were already past eating such before Texas first broke one of its pledges of allegience...

Perhaps you "folks up there" didn't know or have ignored that the celebration of the FIRST THANKSGIVING was in the village of San Elizario, TX (near El Paso del Norte) in 1523 (or perhaps 1528, as the last digit on the document is "smeared" due to water damage) about a CENTURY before the Pilgrims came to what is now the USA.

Further, my father's ancestors had been here about 20,000 years before that.

The REAL early history of the USA is solely the story of Native Americans, Canary Islanders & people of Spain.
(And PERHAPS Black Africans, as well???)

The people of the British Isles are not only relative "newcomers" but illegal aliens too.

yours, satx

Fwiw, I was looking through the freezer this AM & found that we had a couple of "odd pieces" of chicken, a small piece of veal & a "scrap" of pork for the meat & tried your recipe with all 3. = 2 buddies that came over to watch the Dallas game said: Downright GOOD stew, though we are having a MISERABLE game. = SNAKEBIT!!!
(THANKS.)

yours, satx

According to J. Frank Dobie's research the Chili Queens used cast iron wash-pots to cook chili AND to do the men's laundry.

So that's the secret of the famous Texas chili!... :blah:

MAYBE SO. = CHUCKLE.

Nonetheless, our chili is the REAL chili. Everyone else's recipe (except the old-time NA recipes for GREEN chili/Navaho stew) is an "approximation" or "ersatz".

yours, satx

Tejas chili rules. Even I know this and I'm a flatlander from the Great White North. I've been to tejas and to Mejico and chili con carne has no mention of frijoles. Musta been some cheap DY trying to stretch the meal by adding beans. :haha:

PROBABLY, pinto or black beans were added in the 1930s to "stretch" chili, as beans are CHEAP. After "times got better", most cooks here went back to NO beans IN chili.

Fwiw, I always fix/serve a separate pot of pinto beans/ham hocks for eaters to add/not add to their bowl of Texas Red, as pleases each person.

yours, satx

As to SNAKEBIT ------- most folks think whisky is a cureative for snake bite, but it ain't. Whisky is a preventive of snake bite ------- and its worked for me for years as I aint' never been bit.

CHUCKLE.

To quote my GF, "Enough white likker will cure whatever ails you & even if it does not, you'll be too drunk to care."

yours, satx

As Irene Ryan used to say when she played Granny Clampett. It don't cure the rheumatizz but it does make it easier to live with.

Some good ol' hearty chili with some deep, dark, cheap burgundy in a half-gallon jug of which my Grandad said "you can really taste the grapes"? Man oh Manischewitz!

I had a friend tell me about the same about cooking with wine, but after the fourth glass, I forgot why I was in the kitchen! :shocked2:

CHUCKLE. = On more than one occasion, 25+ years ago, I resembled that remark/state of being.
(I gave up Scotch by the 1/2 gallon for coffee by the gallon & cinnamon rolls, more than a 1/4 century ago.)

yours, satx

I don't know if many of you watch the Food network, there is /was this show- Bob Irvine, the guy from England- he rushes into a place to do a banquet type dinner. In any event, on one episode he went to Santa Fe. All the big wigs have an annual feed and it is traditional, original types of beans, etc. This Irvine guy overheated one of the clay ovens and busted/cracked it, but in any event, pretty interesting in the fact that the old types of beans were different.
On the Green Chile Stew, as luck would have it, my local Winn-Dixie had a truck load of Hatch peppers come in- still green- and they were selling them for $.89 a pound!!!! I bought a whole bunch blistered off the skins and took out the pith and seeds and them boiled all down, added some garlic, cumin, etc. Freezes well. I use that and cubed pork for my green chile stew.
IAE- if you have never started with actual peppers- give it a go. I use the green chile stew as a tortilla filling with melted Queso Blanco on top- happy camper.
Still trying to work that recipe for White Lightning.

Back