• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR- Swapping barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a .54 barrel for my current .50 FL, not as a replacement, but to have something with a bit more punch available when needed. Do any of you swap barrels out very often, and if so, have you noticed any accuracy problems after doing so? I'd like to have a situation where, during hunting season, I can go from one to the other and not have to worry about it taking a few rounds to settle in each time.

A) You will not have accuracy issues do to swaping barrels.
B) having done it I soon realized that a .54 worked for EVERYTHING and quite using the .50 all together...

My .50 flinter GPR barrel just doesn't get used. Been thinking on having it bored out to as big a smoothie as it'll go. I just never quite get around to it.

You shouldn't have any problems at all as the GPR barrels are made to be interchangeable. You will notice that the .54 is a bit lighter and less nose heavy compared to the .50 barrel but should be just as accurate. Keep in mind that new Lyman barrels often need to be shot in or just have their bores polished up in order to get the best accuracy and there are plenty of ways to do that.

each barrel has it's own sights so as long as they fit properly in the stock there should be no loss of accuracy when switchin' them out.

I wish I had bought a flint roundball barrel and a flint lock instead of a percussion roundball barrel. Two very different rifles would fit into the one compact case for travel. I think there is a .40 you can get as well isnt there?

I have been considering the same thing. I have not found one less than $325 so far. If you find a deal let me know! Geo. T.

I wouldn't do it. I would rather have two guns. If you are considering a new GPR barrel the cost of a complete gun is not that much more. If you have found a used barrel for a good price maybe not so much.
But I do agree with others, if this is your only gun and you do convert it to 54 cal, you won't likely use the 50 cal much anymore.
By all means stuck with round balls.

Back