• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Fixed sight questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I elected to use the primitive sight shipped with my gpr and have a couple questions.
FYI this isnt a question just more info. I took a punch and put a dimple in the dove tail channel to keep it from falling right out it was a loose fit.

questions

1)for windage I scribed a line on the sight so I can see where I am moving the sight.

I was going to use a piece of tape on the barrel with a line on it to dial it in then scribe the correct spot on the barrel once I find it, so incase it gets bumped I can move it back to the correct spot.

2) how do you lock the sight in place once you get the windage position figured out whats the best way?

Thanks

Bob

If I'm reading correctly, you just added a single dimple in the dovetail slot. I've always put multiple dimples in the bottom of the sight base so there's no interference when I later change to a better fitting sight (as I have now on all my GPRs). Whether in the dovetail or on the sight base, multiple dimples give such a tight fit that I've never been concerned about sight movement.

Long and short, you might want to add a few more dimples and you shouldn't have to worry.

yes you read it correctly thanks I'll do that

( I tried to edit the question to put it in the form of a question but couldn't figure out where the edit button went)

Thanks

Do you scribe a line on the top of the barrel to relate to the sight somehow after you get the windage correct?

bobman said:
Do you scribe a line on the top of the barrel to relate to the sight somehow after you get the windage correct?

I just use a lead pencil to make marks on both the sight and the barrel. If I can't see it on the barrel, then I put on a strip of masking tape and mark that, then remove after sight in. You can do the same with a sliver of tape on the sight base I'm sure, but I have always been able to make out the pencil mark.

Ok and thanks I'll try that.

I just went a added dimples to the dove tail channel and the sight base so hopefully once I get it right it will not move. I just thought it might be nice to have a matching line on the barrel in case I drop it.

on elevation adjustment I will be fileing the front sight and plan to sight in to be dead on at 75 yards ( .54cal 100 grains of FF)

do you just do one stroke with the file then try it again?

Once I have mine sighted in I punch a dimple on the top center junction of the base and dovetail. That locks it in place and gives a visual reference in case it were to get knocked out of position.

Too late, but rather than dimple I use a thin brass shim when a dovetail is loose. Most hobby stores have it in the K&S stock display. Done right it's almost invisible.

Yes, that has worked for me too. For some reason all the GPR rear sights I've dealt with (4) have been loose like that. I tend to go with the idea of staking it with a punch as described by Ghettogun. I stake the front as well even if it's tight just to get that reference. One of the kids knocked a barrel over once and the front sight ended up skewed a bit. Was able to tap it back to the witness mark and it shot like always. :)

I thought I read on another post that the correct way is to peen the top of the dovetail with a brass hammer or punch to close it down on top of the sight. Not questioning what works of course.

Kapow said:
I thought I read on another post that the correct way is to peen the top of the dovetail with a brass hammer or punch to close it down on top of the sight. Not questioning what works of course.

I'm unwilling to do that because in fact the Lyman sight is about the smallest you'll ever see. If you decide to switch sights, you'll either have to fuss with reopening the dovetail or do a bunch of reducing on the sight base. The Lyman primitive sight really is waaaaaaay undersize for the slot. It just falls right through. Shims are good, as are dimples on the bottom of the sight base.

I dimpled it and shot it yesterday I was shooting the same hole or touching holes with my load so that was great. Range was only about 30 yards but my shots were litterally touching.

I got to the range late got the windage right and ran out of daylight.

Next time out I'll be filing the front sight for elevation I was thinking one inch high at 50 yards would put me about dead on at 75 yds and an inch or two low at a 100. Does that sound about right?

This is the first time I've shot this gun even though I've owned it for over a year, it was a lot of fun.

I'll be deer hunting with it soon as I get the elevation adjusted.

100 grains of FF .18 patches and a 530 ball is the load

99 % of the deer I kill with rifles are within 50-60 yards by my estimate

thanks for any imput
Bob

Back