• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about 3/8ths dovetail on gpr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody2306

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Ok so I haven't got to take my new to me lyman great plains rifle to range yet but I will Monday. But my question is if I wanted to change my rear sight to an adjustable rear sight like the elevated ones. They mostly seem to be 3/8ths . But lyman has the great plains at .340" will the 3/8th dove tail sights work on the gpr?

Thanks. Do yall recommend any sight for the rear on theyman great plains. Anybody tried the aml 16 sight?

Nameless hunter do you happen to have a model number on that site by marbles?

Pretty sure I did my filing on the sight portion (male part) of the dovetail when I replaced the factory rear. Can’t rightfully disrember though???
Walk
Now that you mention it, I filed a bit off the bottom of my Marbles Bullseye sight (the dovetail was too tall for the barrel cutout anyway). At some point it fit the cutout in my GPR.

I'm just finishing up a GPR kit and this is the sight I used, it didn't fit either so I filed the base rather than the barrel.

Attachments

• IMGP0689.JPG
    IMGP0689.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGP0690.JPG
    IMGP0690.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 71
An old rule that still holds true today, "Remove the material on the least expensive part."
In the case of fitting a sight dovetail, always file the sight's dovetail down to fit the barrel. Never file the barrels dovetail larger to fit the sight.

Thanks ended up ordering the same hawken sight as Andy. Not 100% sure if I'm going to be filing the very bottom of site base or the bottom corners. But I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for yalls help

Back