• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOURD CANTEENS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,All havent posted in a bit but now have a request, just finished my first gourd canteen. Bought the gourd at Ft. Frederick market faire and made the canteen.The hanger is made from elk and of a half bag if you will holder.As I have tried to post photos in the past with out any luck. Would it be possible to see photos of others that have made these, The one aspect that I enjoy is making most of my own gear both for trekking and hunting. Perhaps I can eventually figure out the photo thing. A APPALICHIAN HUNTER

I made a couple several years ago, didn't have a period reference, just did it. A large one is used in base camp, the smaller can be carried without too much trouble. I've used them quite a lot, they show no sign of damage. I did shrink a rawhide band around the neck of each to prevent cracking there, has worked so far. They haven't been lined with wax or anything, I like the sweet taste of water from a gourd.

First one is 1 quart, made the hanger of rawhide with jute rope spliced into it.

canteen_smallC.jpg

canteen_smallD.jpg

The second holds just shy of 1 gallon. Hanger is just jute rope tied into a sort of harness.

biggourd1.jpg

biggourd2.jpg

canteen1.jpg

Hope these help.

Spence

Cleaning the gourd takes a lot of patience. I've tried the scrape and shake crushed gravel methods with poor results.
By the way, I recently visited the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas, and there were several gourd canteens in the collection -- all of them the two-chambered birdhouse variety.

gblacksmith said:
Spence:Did you hollow out/clean the gourd interior in any way?
I dropped a cup of loose metal nuts in them and shook them for a long time.

Spence

Hi all
Would anyone have an idea where I might find a 'single chamber' gourd like Mr.Spence's top one to make a canteen from?
Thank you........Macon

macon due go to sheas mountain.com tell him hammerhead sent you he sells them already cleaned he sells them that are also beeswaxed inside and he sells just mixed cured gourds for 6 dollars hes a real nice man just tell him what you need he will hook you up. when you go to his website click on store on the right hand side andthen it will give prices and such

Last edited by a moderator:
macon i just looked at the site im sorry i didnt know he was out of stock on the two cheapest ones. all he has left is the one with beeswax and a strap for 45 dollars

Back